Misspelled Words and a Pivot Table

Parra

I create a pivot table report based on a list of 40,000 key words with data next to them. There is a list of 100 possible key words. The problem is that when people input the key words they might not check the spelling. So when I run the pivot table I get data for the misspelled word.

Example:
Color
Colur

Currently I sort the data by key word and click and drag the correct one over the misspelled one, and this takes a lot of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
How about using Tools|Autocorrect? You can at least get rid of the most common ones easily. It would also be worth trying Excel help for Spell Checker, I think there's something there for that as well. (just checked, it's Tools|Spelling)

PS. You missed out the silent "u" in "colour". You should get several comments like that from "proper" English speakers.

_________________<font color = green> Mark O'Brien
This message was edited by Mark O'Brien on 2002-04-12 11:45

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

I trade world wide as far as wherever and English rules the spoken world, thats fact, us Brits cant speak other toungs thats down on us. the poster missed a o not a u as you pointed out and your scotish / british, so this highlights the ease off the electronic pen can mislead.

I cant spell type (broken fingers footall. soccer) and have next to poor education but i do get hostile posts and i never hinde this but most except the world is getting smaller as communication get better and faster.

as a non speller i would suggers, dropping the text or ss into a word processer, OK i hate WORD but best for most users and spelleckeck it and find and replace words like colo(u)r looks silly but it shows understanding to say IVE TRIED and is exceptable world wide. also i trade with Ireland and Northern Island ALL are my best pals im London and we except the political differences as the senders take on the issue and not as hostile. tale County Londonderry and Derry this shows the devide. Im British so would show British stance this is exceptabele and no offence ment.

you need to sift the text aand decide should i or not is this correct or not, i always say show you hand and be yourself dont change guys might not like it but they know what you are and most of all know your genuin and that you not hositle.. this is the point.

excel spell checker is fine... i would column add to correct columns if functions needed like upper for post code / zip codes or proper for addresses, and ' remove them that kind of thing

ALWAYS get the data your way why youwant it the run report / pivot table..

hust some easy steps and not to hack gus off....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back