How to Sort by Date on "blank cells"?

ImpetuousRacer

Ok, so I have data that is all dates in column A that pulls from another source:

I used this formula in column B to suppress errors:
Code:
=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(A1)),"",VALUE(A1))
Therefore, This formula shows a blank cell if there is an error.

However, I noticed when I need to sort the data in column B using a filter, it only allows me to sort A to Z and not from "Oldest to Newest". Ive highlighted all of column B, and made sure the formatting of the cells is set to Date.

In Column C, I put the formula =ISTEXT(B1) and so forth, and it shows False for cells that are truly blank, but True for blank cells created from the formula that used "", even though I have that cell set as a Date. If I use nothing in the ISERROR formula instead of blank, I get the date of 1/0/1900 which I would like to avoid as when sorting it puts all these dates to the top.

Is there another method to have a blank and override so Excel 2007 sees it as date and not text? Thanks for the help.

Oh, and another thing to note is that in column B, when I have 10 dates, I can have 15 more cells blank from the iserror fomula, but at number 16 of blank results it will change the ability from oldest to newest sorting to A to Z.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
racer,

not sure if I have an answer, but something you might want to know is that "" is not BLANK. It is a 0-length string, which is considered text I believe. Furthermore, I don't think BLANKS or NULLS are considered text. There might also be an issue with the DATE type, as I believe it completely ignores 0 lengths, NULLs and BLANKS. e.g. - the value is only a date if there is something present in the cell.

One thing to consider is a block of code that converts all your dates to text after import. Another alternative would be to switch the format of the date to "yyyy/mm/dd", which would always sort correctly regardless of the data type (almost sure, but not 100%)

Upvote 0
Thanks ajetrumpet for the help and the reasoning of everything. Much Appreciated! Using the date format "yyyy/mm/dd" will work for my sorting needs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back