Cannot open excel document again!

Geoff

Hi all,

The same problem I had the other day has occured again. I have been saving a back-up copy of my work just in case, however the problem has affected both the original and back-up copies. I really need to find out how to open these documents, or I may as well stop using Excel. Once again it tells me I am trying to access a read-only document, but it will still not open as a read-only document. I'm really stuck and last time the scan disk option just erased all 8 pages. If I lose this document too I can look for another job, so please.............HELP!

Basically I was able to open, change and save my work time after time, until I opened a separate excel document from another source. Since doing so, my own document will not re-open, copy, send or do anything at all. It simply tells me "...cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is located on may not be responding". The document is on a disc, and other docs on the same disc are fine.

My document is on Excel 2000, and the foreign document I opened which I believe has altered mine (despite my being careful to not have both open at once) was Excel 5.0/7.0.

I'll courier a six-pack to anywhere in the world to anyone able to help me open my document.

Cheers,
Geoff Blackmore.
(geoff_184@xtra.co.nz)

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi

Have you tried renaming it and copying it to a different directory via Windows Explorer? Have you tried e-mailing the file to a different computer and then tried to open it? Does anything happen if you try to open it up in MS Word? Have you tried to copy the data via formula from another workbook?

If all else fails suggest you scan your yellow pages for professionals at recovering data. (We recently lost 70 files but professionals managed to recover 65 of them)

good luck
regards
Derek

Upvote 0
Hi

Scan disk>>> Yicks!!! dont use it stop it hit X if runs nasty rubbish this that is causes all sorts MCSE knows it changes things for no reason and bust things, need good utility like norton will reset stuff and is very good there virus checkes shocking no good.

...excel document from another source
i suggest virus check deep scan just in case... need latest virus definitions that mee no older that last / latest update, else no point bothering as might not work.

Many of the nasty virus writters easy get arround this juts as we use vlookup to look in a book without it open or import txtx files via vba not even open these kinds of ideas.

I say as you lean towards virus , can i suggest you send it to me ill scan it on heaver scanners and sent to work via scrubbers we have, i have had nasty virus arrive at work the drop dead sadly so i can have fun with them and learn how to defete then.. i get the sheet scanned and probed and return it clean, ill try to open it and save it for you.

problem is some middle aged virus if allowed to go to far can distroy book.... yep i hav these programmers..

I might be wrong, worth a try if data secrect up to you, i cant be bothered with the data and so all i can say is delete the bit you must leave some data thou so i have something to work on..

Excel 5 macro can be a pig!
Check you start up folder anything odd in there??

Upvote 0
I can rename it, but the renamed version retains the same inability to open. Copying it or sending it to an email recipient or even attaching it to an email does not work, as all of these options require the computer to read the document. I have tried running scan disc after setting it to just find errors and not repair them, and in both the original and the back up-copy I made it has found errors. However, it cannot describe the error as it is unable to scan the entire document. It advises "the content is probably already lost", although the properties reveal the full 57kb is still present.
Looks like I'll be starting from scratch again. From now on I am not closing an excel document until I have completely finished it and saved it to a web-based site. The A and C drives just can't be trusted!

On 2002-04-13 06:35, Derek wrote:
Hi

Have you tried renaming it and copying it to a different directory via Windows Explorer? Have you tried e-mailing the file to a different computer and then tried to open it? Does anything happen if you try to open it up in MS Word? Have you tried to copy the data via formula from another workbook?

If all else fails suggest you scan your yellow pages for professionals at recovering data. (We recently lost 70 files but professionals managed to recover 65 of them)

good luck
regards
Derek

Upvote 0
Geoff

I am trying to help you and have posted on both posts you have made, i do not make posts to be a jerk, im not having a go, offering to help these a noticable difference.

You choose not to answer my post or the questions opting to others post.

may i ask why this is?

if my help towards you is usless or not favoured then i except this and pass appoligies to any reason you might have and ill not post again to any of your posts, as you clearly seem not to want my help and assistance.

if if done wrong by you OKi except and say sorry to you.. i feel this is fair .. as i could be helping others that will and do listen and help i will given the chance,

Like i say im not digging you or having go.. just saying how the evidence points...

Upvote 0
Thanks Jack,

I would send it to you if it would let me, which it won't. The affected documents can not be sent as an email or an attachment either. It attaches it, but when you hit "send' it comes up with an error message.

No virus was found either, but as you say not all virus's are detectable.

It hasn't been possible to open them in word or elsewhere either for the same reason - it cannot read anything to open.

Ah well, I best be starting my 8 pages again.....

-Geoff.

On 2002-04-13 06:45, Jack in the UK wrote:
Hi

Scan disk>>> Yicks!!! dont use it stop it hit X if runs nasty rubbish this that is causes all sorts MCSE knows it changes things for no reason and bust things, need good utility like norton will reset stuff and is very good there virus checkes shocking no good.

...excel document from another source
i suggest virus check deep scan just in case... need latest virus definitions that mee no older that last / latest update, else no point bothering as might not work.

Many of the nasty virus writters easy get arround this juts as we use vlookup to look in a book without it open or import txtx files via vba not even open these kinds of ideas.

I say as you lean towards virus , can i suggest you send it to me ill scan it on heaver scanners and sent to work via scrubbers we have, i have had nasty virus arrive at work the drop dead sadly so i can have fun with them and learn how to defete then.. i get the sheet scanned and probed and return it clean, ill try to open it and save it for you.

problem is some middle aged virus if allowed to go to far can distroy book.... yep i hav these programmers..

I might be wrong, worth a try if data secrect up to you, i cant be bothered with the data and so all i can say is delete the bit you must leave some data thou so i have something to work on..

Excel 5 macro can be a pig!
Check you start up folder anything odd in there??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back