Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Excel Freezes and locks my system

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running Office 2000 w/ Windows 98. When I start Excel, the splash screen comes up and freezes. Excel never loads and I am forced to exit. When I exit, my system will not load any additional applications as it reports that there are insufficient resources available. Everything else on my system (Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc) seems to load fine. I think that this happened after I ran defrag on my system. I tried removing and reloading Office without success. HELP !!!

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something is amist cold boot after install that is leave off for 2 mins and re boot only open excel.. still hangs???

Free Excel based Web Toolbar available here.

Jack in the UK
    J & R Excel Solutions
    "making Excel work for you"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

From a cold re-boot, even in Safe Mode, the Excel splash screen starts and then hang there. The only way I can get it to stop is with CTL-ALT-DEL. This offers me a window to shut Excel down. After it appears to shut down, nothing else will open. Windows tells me that I don't have enough memory to run anything. My guess is that I have a corrupt dll file in my Windows install, but, which one?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could be one of many possibilities--registry entries, custom menu/toolbar files, addins or xlstart items may be causing the problem. Try Excel in safe mode and see if the problem goes away. To run Excel in safe mode, click on Start | Run and type 'excel /s' (without the quotes) and press OK. If it works, Excel has minor configuration problems.

Since you get two free support calls with the Office suite, I'd call Microsoft Support at 425-635-7056 for assistance.

<font size="-1">Mark Henri</font>

<font size="-2">Microsoft Tier 1 Excel Support Technician</font>

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others