Excel Freezes and locks my system

melclauson

I'm running Office 2000 w/ Windows 98. When I start Excel, the splash screen comes up and freezes. Excel never loads and I am forced to exit. When I exit, my system will not load any additional applications as it reports that there are insufficient resources available. Everything else on my system (Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc) seems to load fine. I think that this happened after I ran defrag on my system. I tried removing and reloading Office without success. HELP !!!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
something is amist cold boot after install that is leave off for 2 mins and re boot only open excel.. still hangs???

Upvote 0
Yes.

From a cold re-boot, even in Safe Mode, the Excel splash screen starts and then hang there. The only way I can get it to stop is with CTL-ALT-DEL. This offers me a window to shut Excel down. After it appears to shut down, nothing else will open. Windows tells me that I don't have enough memory to run anything. My guess is that I have a corrupt dll file in my Windows install, but, which one?

Upvote 0
This could be one of many possibilities--registry entries, custom menu/toolbar files, addins or xlstart items may be causing the problem. Try Excel in safe mode and see if the problem goes away. To run Excel in safe mode, click on Start | Run and type 'excel /s' (without the quotes) and press OK. If it works, Excel has minor configuration problems.

Since you get two free support calls with the Office suite, I'd call Microsoft Support at 425-635-7056 for assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back