Averaging Times

jvidosh

I have a spreadsheet where employees daily hours are tracked. I would like to be able to get an average hours worked for all employees. What is the best way to do this, the formulas I have tried don't seem to calculate it properly?
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-13 13:48

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
On 2002-04-13 13:48, jvidosh wrote:
I have a spreadsheet where employees daily hours are tracked. I would like to be able to get an average hours worked for all employees. What is the best way to do this, the formulas I have tried don't seem to calculate it properly?
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-13 13:48

=AVERAGE(F2:25)

where F2:F5 houses properly formatted time values.

The cell of this formula should be custom formatted as

[h]:mm

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-13 15:32, jvidosh wrote:
Thanks for your help. I had tried that but it doesn't look right to me, when I do it manually I get a different number. I figured out why number wasn't correct, as I was preparing to illustrate the problem to you, I discovered my error. I also need to be able to not only include cells that have an error (due to the fact I have the start time already input and the employee did not work that day) but cells with no value at all (I have blank fields to add new employees). So I will need a count or/and if : then statement, correct? That is why my averages didn't look correct, I was averaging in blank and errored out cells. Any additional help would be appreciated, I'm going work on it here to. Thanks

John
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-13 15:56
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-20 06:34
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-20 06:35

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-13 15:55, jvidosh wrote:
On 2002-04-13 15:32, jvidosh wrote:
Thanks for your help. I had tried that but it doesn't look right to me, when I do it manually I get a different number. I figured out why number wasn't correct, as I was preparing to illustrate the problem to you, I discovered my error. I also need to be able to not only include cells that have an error (due to the fact I have the start time already input and the employee did not work that day) but cells withno no value at all (I have blank fields to add new employees). So I will need a count or/and if : then statement, correct? That is why my averages didn't look correct, I was averaging in blank cells. Any additional help would be appreciated, I'm going work on it here to. Thanks

John
This message was edited by jvidosh on 2002-04-13 15:56

John,

AVERAGE ignores blank cells. What kind of error values do you have in the range of time values that we want to average? Would you also post the formula that computes the values to be averaged?

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back