TEXT RECOGNITION-helppp

skywalker

hi
I have a lot of sheets of text which i have imported a notepad file into excel using the delimiter function and stored in different sheets. now i want to find out the number of cells in each sheet which represent text alone{the problem being i have characters like /,.* and some ascii in them and the text although is occupying individual cells for each word but is spread out throughout the sheets}. i also want to find out how much does each word occupies in terms of bytes in the file if possible

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi Skywalker:
Welcome to the board! You have stated a whopper of a problem. Although you want to have an overview of your entire project, you will naturally have to proceed one step at a time. What step are you having a problem with? If you clearly state what issue you need help for, a lot of people will readily step forward to help you!

Upvote 0
First question > WHY???!!!

anyhow, a simple macro could scan all the data on each sheet and count non-blank cells and count those that have A-Z characters only, you need to give a bit more detail. Is it an unbroken list, how many columns does it occupy?

about the file size taken by each word, well, in a text file each character is one byte, so you can calculate the size in bytes just by calculating the length in characters, which you can use LEN for.

ie.
cell A1...
ELEPHANT

cell A2...
=LEN(A1)

will give the value 8, as there are 8 characters in ELEPHANT and so it would take 8 bytes of your text file.

Keep asking for more detail.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back