Vlookup, not worrking as described.

Moradyn

I have looked through all the posts with the name Vlookup up, but can't see why my vlookup is failing.

This is the information given by Excel 97 help...

--------------------------------------------
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

Lookup_value is the value to be found in the first column of the array. Lookup_value can be a value, a reference, or a text string.

Table_array is the table of information in which data is looked up. Use a reference to a range or a range name, such as Database or List.

· If range_lookup is TRUE, the values in the first column of table_array must be placed in ascending order: ..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., A-Z, FALSE, TRUE; otherwise VLOOKUP may not give the correct value. If range_lookup is FALSE, table_array does not need to be sorted.
· You can put the values in ascending order by choosing the Sort command from the Data menu and selecting Ascending.
· The values in the first column of table_array can be text, numbers, or logical values.

· Uppercase and lowercase text are equivalent.

Col_index_num is the column number in table_array from which the matching value must be returned. A col_index_num of 1 returns the value in the first column in table_array; a col_index_num of 2 returns the value in the second column in table_array, and so on. If col_index_num is less than 1, VLOOKUP returns the #VALUE! error value; if col_index_num is greater than the number of columns in table_array, VLOOKUP returns the #REF! error value.

Range_lookup is a logical value that specifies whether you want VLOOKUP to find an exact match or an approximate match. If TRUE or omitted, an approximate match is returned. In other words, if an exact match is not found, the next largest value that is less than lookup_value is returned. If FALSE, VLOOKUP will find an exact match. If one is not found, the error value #N/A is returned.

Remarks

· If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is TRUE, it uses the largest value that is less than or equal to lookup_value.
· If lookup_value is smaller than the smallest value in the first column of table_array, VLOOKUP returns the #N/A error value.
· If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is FALSE, VLOOKUP returns the #N/A value.

--------------------------------------------

I have a lookup table on the second tab of my worksheet, this is not sorted. This area on the second tab is named, and called Gb_Docs

My Vlookup, on the 1st page reads :-

=VLOOKUP(A1,GB_Docs,2,FALSE)

A1 on the first sheet is say AD-001, A2= L2
The GB_Docs data on page 2, looks like this:-

AD-001 Cherries
AK-001 Strawberries
FG-002 Bananas
L2 Cocoa
L8 Junk

The Vlookup, works for the first 3 items in this list, but returns #na for the last 2 items, and yet, according to the excel help, using the FALSE expression on the end, means the list doesn't need to be sorted.

Your starter for 10 is worth 10 points.

:)

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I have tested this using the exact values you state, but it works for me.

All i can suggest is that you check that the L2 string is the same in both lists, that there are no spaces in one but not the other, etc... also that there is no equals sign, as

=L2 is not equal to "L2" the string

good luck anyway...

Upvote 0
classic mistake in the running here..

Check that "L2" ie "l2" is not actually "12". Cant tell you how many times I see the "1" (one) mistaken for an "L"

Seems fishy that it's both your "L#" values that's giving you a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back