Protecting & Unprotecting multiple sheets.

Moradyn

Anyone have a link to some code that protects and unprotects multiple sheets in one go ?

Re: Protecting & Unprotecting multiple sheets.

Dear All

Not sure who will see this but I have used the following code on a test workbook which works fine:

Sub ProtectWS()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set wsArray = Sheets(Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2", "Sheet3", "Sheet4", "Sheet5", "Sheet6", "Sheet7"))
For Each ws In wsArray
ws.Protect Password:="fred"
'ws.Range("A1").Select
Next
End Sub

Sub UnProtectWS()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set wsArray = Sheets(Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2", "Sheet3", "Sheet4", "Sheet5", "Sheet6", "Sheet7"))
For Each ws In wsArray
ws.Unprotect Password:="fred"
Next
End Sub

However in a much larger project the only way it would work is to define Dim wsArray as a Variant.

We have checked the code and there are no other arrays. Is there something else that we should be looking for?

Any advice would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Actually, someone gave me the following a few weeks ago. These two macros will do it for all sheets in a workbook.

Sub ProtectAll()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.Protect password:="whatever", DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
Next ws

End Sub

-----------
Sub DeProtectAll()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.Unprotect password:="whatever"
Next ws

End Sub

NOTE:
"whatever" is the password (without the quotes) you supply

[SIZE=-1][ This Message was edited by: shades on 2002-04-15 08:02 ][/SIZE]

Shades,

First of all, this code is awesome! Thank you. Before I added this code if I wanted to individually unprotect a sheet, I didn't need a password. Now that I added this code however, a password is now required to unlock individual pages (which automatically became "whatever"). Is there a variant of this code that would not require a password to unlock each page individually nor by using the macros?

Upvote 0

Shades,

First of all, this code is awesome! Thank you. Before I added this code if I wanted to individually unprotect a sheet, I didn't need a password. Now that I added this code however, a password is now required to unlock individual pages (which automatically became "whatever"). Is there a variant of this code that would not require a password to unlock each page individually nor by using the macros?

I figured this out, but can't figure out how to delete my Reply.

When I protect the worksheets, I need to be able to select a few options of the "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" box.

The options I need to have checked are: "Edit Objects," "Format Cells" and "Select Unlocked Cells."

Thank you all in advance.

Upvote 0

I'm using these two macros. My array has 20 sheets in it. The only change I made, apart from the array contents, is to remove 'password="fred"' because I don't have a password on the protected sheets.

unprotectws works fine but when I run protectws I get the error 'runtime error 1004 method 'protect' of object '_worksheet' failed'

Can anyone spot the problem, please?

Dear All

Not sure who will see this but I have used the following code on a test workbook which works fine:

Sub ProtectWS()
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In wsArray
ws.Protect Password:="fred"
'ws.Range("A1").Select
Next
End Sub

Sub UnProtectWS()
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In wsArray
ws.Unprotect Password:="fred"
Next
End Sub

However in a much larger project the only way it would work is to define Dim wsArray as a Variant.

We have checked the code and there are no other arrays. Is there something else that we should be looking for?

Any advice would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Have you tried to debug which sheet in the array it is breaking on?

Upvote 0

It breaks on the first pass. I just managed to find the problem.

both macros are fine but the problem was what i was doing in between. I was unprotecting, grouping the sheets to perform a common change then reprotecting.

The code in between left the sheets grouped and that caused the error.

thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back