Conditional formatting of text cells

Terry M

Fabulous Site! I've learned tons while looking to solve these 2 similar problems: 1. Using conditional formatting I would like to highlite cells in a range containing specific text (within text), and 2. again using conditional formatting I would like to highlite cells in a row that have more than one occurrence of the same specific text (within text). Seperate issues. This is a baseball schedule containing team references in the cells ie: "A1 vs B3", "C6 vs A2" etc, I am trying to highlight cells containing a specific team in a range of cells ie: "A2" for question 1, and highlight multiple occurrences of cells containing "A2" in a row for question 2.
Very much appreciated and again - fabulous site!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
On 2002-01-14 12:52, Terry M wrote:
Fabulous Site! I've learned tons while looking to solve these 2 similar problems: 1. Using conditional formatting I would like to highlite cells in a range containing specific text (within text), and 2. again using conditional formatting I would like to highlite cells in a row that have more than one occurrence of the same specific text (within text). Seperate issues. This is a baseball schedule containing team references in the cells ie: "A1 vs B3", "C6 vs A2" etc, I am trying to highlight cells containing a specific team in a range of cells ie: "A2" for question 1, and highlight multiple occurrences of cells containing "A2" in a row for question 2.
Very much appreciated and again - fabulous site!

You mean to highlite each cell that contains the team A2? If so, select the target range, activate Conditional Formatting, choose Formula Is for Condition 1, enter as formula (assuming that your range E2:H60),

=COUNTIF(E2,"*A2*")

activate Format, select a color on the Patterns tab, click OK twice.

Note: I can't see your post listed. I arrived here by using the Search facility, not an easy way of interaction.
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-01-14 13:38
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-04-15 08:43

Upvote 0
Thanks very much. It's often an easy solution - I was trying formulas much more complex than that - but your basic one works well!

I have no idea why my post isn't viewable. I'm new on the board as you can see. I did notice that when I posted it the date was several months out of whack.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back