Constant Cell/ how to keep it from changing with drag - Help

hyedipin

Hi, great site.

:rolleyes:
I just wanted to find a quick answer to my problem.

:pary: 1.
I remember from school there was a charecter before cell number to keep it from changing when dragging, while the second one changes in a calculation.

Like: =(B4+B19) but I want B4 to stay the same, and B19 to change as I drag it down...

When calculating , If I want to add the current cell to my calculation, how can I do that?

Like: Cells have values, and I have one cell at the top. A1 is 1000 and A2 is 100, A3 is 330, A4 is 50.
On A2 I want something like A1+(currentA2)=(NewA2) in to A2, and drag this down with A1 as constant, and so on with other cells.

I hope I made myself clear with the questions, and If you don't understand my questions, it's ok :rolleyes: .. but I am sure it is very easy to solve.. :rolleyes: Please help ASAP/.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Re: Constant Cell/ how to keep it from changing with drag -

In answer to question 1 select the cell you want to stay constant ie B4 and press F4 as this makes that cell the absolute reference

I am still investigating question 2

Upvote 0

1. =$B$4+B19

2. It cannot be done without Visual Basic (a macro or custom function). Otherwise, you will get a circular reference error. Are you interested in using Visual Basic to solve this?

Upvote 0

1. =$B$4+B19 0r give B4 a Name such as 'myvalue' and use =myValue+B19

2. You will have to use code to do this as I see Jimiskey has suggested

Maybe something like

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> Target.Column <> 1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN>
    Target.Value = Target.Value + Range("$A$1").Value
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

#2 should really not be a requirement. You have 256 columns and cut & paste special at your disposal, in addition to vba. Use a third column as a spreadsheet was intended to function. This drastically simplifies your quandary.

Edit: If you really want to do this, tweak Lenze's procedure to look like:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> Target.Column <> 2 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN>
    Application.EnableEvents = 0
    Target = Target + Target(, 0)
    Application.EnableEvents = -1
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

For a variety of reasons. Put it in the appropriate worksheet module.

Upvote 0

Thank you all for your comments and greatly fast replies. Saved my life, and made me ashamed :oops: of myself as I think how I could forget that.. :confused:

I decided to just add second column and work on that instead of fiddling with VB, even though I loved VB6 but never studied enough to master it.. Maybe in the future. :whistle:

Anyway. :cool:

Thanks to all again..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back