Bullets (again!)

chookers

Board Regular
Good God, glad the board is sorted out. Well this is the 4th time I've posted this thing -hopefully someone will able to see it now!

Is there a way to put a bulleted list in a cell??? I don't see anything in help that says 'YES YOU CAN' - thought I would try here just to put my mind at rest -

Thank you!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
chookers
as far as i know you can't do bulleted lists (not in xl97 anyway) but you can use alt+enter to start a new line in the same cell and precede the text on each line with a dash or asterisk or something similarly 'bulletish'

Upvote 0
Yes that's what I thought - am using Office 2000, if anyone else knows of how I can use actual bullets, let me know!

Also It seems when your first entry into a cell is a 'dash', it wants to do some sort of formatting and gives you error messages so I can only use a dash if it's not the first entry.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
"Also It seems when your first entry into a cell is a 'dash', it wants to do some sort of formatting and gives you error messages so I can only use a dash if it's not the first entry. "

if you can't find a better solution and are stuck with using dashes, to get around the 'error' thing try enclosing everything in quotation marks ="-text"

Upvote 0
Hi,

At least three ways:

1. Enter the following in any cell
=CHAR(149) & " Hi there"
and you will get a bullet before the text.

2. Hold down the Alt key and type 0149 on the keyboard. Alt+0149 and then your text.

3. l,n,u with Wingdings fonts will give you a bullet.

You can also import them from Word or use the character map (char.exe) to choose.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
I've had the same challange, and my solution was:

1) Hit the A1 cell - then Format, Cells, Fonts - Wingdings
2) write =IF(B1<>"","l","")in the A1 cell
3) write something in the B1 cell and hit enter

andy-s
This message was edited by andy-s on 2002-04-15 15:36

Upvote 0
Andy, adding to what you just described. one would naturally have to narrow the width of column A to suit, so the columns A and B taken together will giv ethe impression of an integrate bulleted list!

Upvote 0
If you just want to add a bullet at the start of a cell or cells (as opposed to a bulleted list within one cell), try this macro :-

Sub Add_Bullet()
Dim bullet As String, cell As Range
bullet = Chr(149) & Chr(32)
For Each cell In Selection
If Left(cell.Value, 2) <> bullet Then cell.Value = bullet & cell.Value
Next
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back