Can't format cells anymore in Excel 2007

sandyw654

Up until today, Excel worked fine and I was able to insert rows and columns, copy rows and columns and Insert Copied Cells, and format cells by selecting, right-clicking, and choosing Format Cells. Today I can't do any of those things. I have searched all over the internet and all I have found is people asking "is it a shared workbook?" or "is the sheet protected?" I'm not an Excel idiot so I assure you the answer to those questions is no. It happens if I open a brand new workbook or an existing one, if I copy and paste special values or just type new values in the cells. What could possibly be causing this?

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
No, the menu stills appears when I right-click, but Format Cells and Insert Copied Cells are grayed out. I can't attach a screenshot so I uploaded one to TinyPic. I was trying to Insert Copied Cells in this example.

23tm6o.jpg

Upvote 0
That looks like the menu choices you get when the worksheet is protected and the user is allowed to format rows.

Upvote 0
Why would I open a brand new blank workbook, enter data in a few cells, and then not be able to insert a row though? I didn't tell Excel to make these workbooks protected. Also, when I look at the Review tab, it says they aren't protected, so this cannot be the problem.

Upvote 0
Something must be disabling (or has disabled) the menu choices. Do you have any macros? Is your new workbook based on a template?

Upvote 0
I checked and there aren't any Macros and my new workbook was just a regular Blank Workbook, not from a template. Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue with me, by the way.

Upvote 0
I figured out what happened. I get a file from a customer that requires macros to be enabled and whenever it's open I cannot change formatting in other workbooks that are open. If I close out of their file, everything works fine. I don't understand why macros in one file would affect all other open files, but at least the issue is resolved. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem as listed in this thread. However, the Macro thing is not the issue. This disabling of Insert, Delete, and Format Cells seems to be permanent. Even when I reboot the computer, it still persists. I even disable macros completely. It still does not work.

Please help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back