PC Can not run controls after GPF

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Here is an interesting problem. An Excel workbook with numerous userforms crashed on a particular PC. After rebooting, that PC could no longer open the workbook.

Another laptop could open the workbook OK.

On the original PC, we uninstalled and re-installed office. Still the same problem.

Upon further testing, it seems to be that any Workbook which has userform controls is taking forever to load on the original PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I know that some people may have an idea if you state the versions and OS.

The only thing I can think of with userforms crashing Excel is if one of the forms references an invalid control. e.g.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q231081

Was the workbook originally created on this machine that crashed?

_________________<font color = green> Mark O'Brien
This message was edited by Mark O'Brien on 2002-04-15 07:19

Upvote 0
Re: PC running WInME, excel 2000. File with many userforms & controls crashed, upon reboot, Excel takes several minutes to load file and similar files more than a year old, Creating new file with four command buttons and a couple lines of code, takes fifteen seconds to load & close. Command buttons take several seconds to appear on the sheet. Excel was reinstalled, Registry cleaner run, still same problem. Files run fine on another system. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Have you tried to erase all the temp files in the Windows temp directory, and then run a scandisk on your hard drive for any file corruption... Just a thought.
Peter

Upvote 0
Solution
Mood/Peter - Your suggestion to clean out the temp file seems to have worked. I had thousands of small image files of controls and a couple of temp files of the program in the temp file. Many thanks!
-Mike Robinson

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-15 22:17, Mood wrote:
Have you tried to erase all the temp files in the Windows temp directory,Peter

Interesting. Wow. Looking my Windows / Temp directory, I have small .emf files of 200 controls, plus some company logos. I recognize most of these as controls from various Excel files that I have opened.

Why does Excel write these out there? I am not having a problem with the 200, but it must cause a problem when you get to 1000+.

Does anyone have more information on this?

Bill

Upvote 0
I had numerous files that would take up to15 min to open and the same amount of time to close. I read this board every day and
came across a post of someone in the group having the same problem. Someone suggested
deleting the "emf" files in the temp dir.
I found over 3,000 "emf" files....deleted
and the files now open like they should?

This board and the people involved are great

James

Upvote 0
I think the main reason for all the temp files in XL (just opening a blank sheet drops 12 files here), is for speed. This same principle is used as the cache in Internet Explorer. It is faster to look for the files in the temp folder than it is to recalculate the files again.

As for any limit, I feel you can get to a certain limit, and it would take longer to find the files (due to file fragmentation) than to redo them from scratch. This is why I erase all my temp files.

Also,when XL crashes, it can’t delete the files, so you are left with garbage in this folder. Just a thought…

Peter
This message was edited by Mood on 2002-04-17 10:59

Upvote 0
hi gues as Bill MeExcel has posted this i was surprised but wanted to offer some advice.

Bill tmp file in internet or windows temp you can delete any OP regardless Win will rebuild in a snap if they are needed, as you know Ivan offer autoexec.bat code to del this dir on boot.

Me i like to keep em so i can see em, remv as needs be ie once a week after a looks see,

enf files are different they are built to allow files to build often after crashes kinda like chk after scan disk and also -*. no dos extentions reports as .file or 99 file if pirate sware .. these are from dirty memory and poor saves open 2 click shoul SHOULD open excel to open these xls docs.. ok kinda recovery..

Windows being tricky i guess..

all in all i say its windows talking with excel correctly and excel chattin to windows OK, they do this.
Windows as you know is complex like in VBA you write code A Dave Hawley code B and Icvan code C Aladin pops in a nd formulas that code.. whats best???

Depends what tyouneed and what you can maintain...

any help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back