text and numbers in same cell, sum of numbers ?

skgurmeet

Dear All,

i have query, please help out.

multiple numbers and text are in single cell which are separated through spaces or comma, is there any formula which can bypass text and add all the numbers in the cell.

For example:

<table style="width: 384px; height: 83px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 125pt;" width="167"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; width: 125pt;" height="20" width="167">red 12, yellow 10, green 5</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-left: medium none; width: 48pt;" align="right" width="64">27</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; border-top: medium none;" height="20">red 3, blue 9</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">12</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; border-top: medium none;" height="20">yellow 21, blue 3</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">24</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Thanks,
Gurmeet

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi all,

I've been following this thread hoping it would help me with an issue I'm having. I'm working on a planner for our operatives on shift and I want to count their hours for costs calculations.

For each day they'll have a single letter code and number to dictate what shift and for how long they worked. For example: N12 - nightshift 12 hours.

I understand the value function and can extract the number from a single cell: =SUM(VALUE(RIGHT(HB8,2))) - gives me the 12 from N12. What I can't seem to get working is the function to sum multiples of these value functions without the largest formula ever: =SUM(VALUE(RIGHT(HB8,2)),(VALUE(RIGHT(HC8,2))....

An example from my spreadsheet would be like this:

Joe Blogs N12 N12 N15 N12 N12 D12 D12

I want to calculate the total hours on nightshift for him and on dayshift (D) for him, separately.

Apologies if I've rambled, just bashing my head on a wall at the moment!

Dan

Upvote 0
Give this a try for night shift (confirm with Ctrl – Shift – Enter):

=SUM(IF(MID(A1,ROW($1:$255),2)=" N",IFERROR(--MID(A1,ROW($1:$255)+2,2),0),0))

For day shift change „ N” to „ D” in the formula.

Upvote 0
Hi Istvan,

I've tried the formula you supplied, putting it at the end of a row containing N12 etc values. After confirming with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, it gives a 0 as the result regardless of the preceding values.

=SUM(IF(MID(A1,ROW($1:$255),2)="N",IFERROR(--MID(A1,ROW($1:$255)+2,2),0),0))

Upvote 0
An example from my spreadsheet would be like this:

Joe Blogs N12 N12 N15 N12 N12 D12 D12

I want to calculate the total hours on nightshift for him and on dayshift (D) for him, separately.

Hi, something like this maybe:

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHIJ
1ND
2Joe BlogsN12N12N15N12N12D12D126324
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2=SUMPRODUCT(--("0"&MID(B2:H2,2,99)),--(LEFT(B2:H2,1)="N"))
J2=SUMPRODUCT(--("0"&MID(B2:H2,2,99)),--(LEFT(B2:H2,1)="D"))

Upvote 0
Hi Istvan,

I've tried the formula you supplied, putting it at the end of a row containing N12 etc values. After confirming with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, it gives a 0 as the result regardless of the preceding values.

=SUM(IF(MID(A1,ROW($1:$255),2)="N",IFERROR(--MID(A1,ROW($1:$255)+2,2),0),0))

My formula works and gives the result below with this layout:
Excel Workbook
ABC
1Joe Blogs N12 N12 N15 N12 N12 D12 D126324
2Johnny Walker D5 N7 D2 D7 N5 D51219
Sheet

I suggest that you copy the formula in its place, do not enter character by character (for example, my formula contains „ N” (space N) but you entered „N” (no space) - that can be the cause of the difference. Confirm with Ctrl – Shift – Enter not just Enter.

Upvote 0
...Your a wizard! For my own understanding do I have the following right:

=SUMPRODUCT: means its adding all values found
(--("0"&MID(B2:H2,2,99)): is looking for any string starting at the second position within a cell and taking up to 99 positions afterwards within the range of cells from b2 to h2. I don't understand the "0"& part or the --
--(LEFT(B2:H2,1)="D")): is checking if the cells have a "D" in position 1 (starting on the left) within the range of cells b2 to h2. Again I don't understand the --.

I'm also unsure how the formula prioritises checking for a D first before then getting the values afterwards. I appreciate your help and thank you again for the formula!

Kind regards,

Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back