Finding Blank Spaces between text

winskirst

I need to find data in two different formats within a column

Examples

Webb Christopher

Greer Nancy

I need to find cells with text that have more than one space between the first and last names; and cells with text that have only one space between the first and last names.

I am fairly new to excel. I can find the space after the first word but cannot tell it to find ones that say have a space then another string of text.

Thank you for your help!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thanks. Is there a way to find the spaces but not remove them?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
@DannyH - some have one space, but others have more than one space. I need to separate the two different formats.

Upvote 0
Both solutions should work,

When you say seperate the, what do you mean exactly? hightlighing in different colours maybe?

Upvote 0
@Dannyh1, don't know what I am doing wrong...I get contains two spaces for each type of format.

moz-screenshot-8.png
moz-screenshot-9.png

moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png

Upvote 0
@dannyh1 - yes, for now I just need to apply conditional formatting (maybe colours) or filter one format out from the other.

Upvote 0
@ Delmar, I also get the answer 1 space for each format when I use your formula. It should work. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
Is your calculation set to automatic in options?

If the first result is "1 space" and you've dragged down with manual calculation then they'll all show as "1 space".

Press F9 to force calculation and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
@ Dannyh1 - but both the cells with the names in them and the cells I put the formula in are formatted as general. Is that what you are asking? Thanks for your patience. I am just learning.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back