Learn Visual Basic

Danny Boy

Hi all, I am a college student and need to learn Visual Basic for a project I will be doing. I have quite a bit of time to learn it, about a quarter, and was wondering what books/websites the experts would recommend. Thanks for your help!!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I would recommend this website for one and this website:

http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm

For some harder stuff.

As for books, here is a list of books:
http://www.mrexcel.com/book.shtml

I would recommend "Excel 2002 VBA Programmers Reference" from this list. I loved the 2000 version of this book but MrExcel himself tells me that the 2000 book is crap (I'm paraphrasing), but the 2002 is very good indeed.

Upvote 0
If you're looking to learn VB and not necessarily VBA I would highly recommend "Learn to Program with Visual Basic" and "Learn to Program Visual Basic Objects" by John Smiley.

He uses a real world project to take you through the learning process in a classroom environment. The second book is a continuation of the first.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys... I am actually trying to learn VBA, I will be doing some linear programming and my prof wants me to use excel and VBA.

Upvote 0
Danny,

Wen I started, I found a really useful reference book was Excel 2000 VBA by John Green, published by Wrox Press.
Has loads of Code examples and useful reference tables.

Will.

Upvote 0
WillR, that's the book I recommend as well. I'm glad you agree. (Although apparently the 2002 version is far superior)

Upvote 0
easy free and excellent stuff:

suggest checking some of the guys on this sites own web site, check out membership and filter on posts most the top guys have own site,

I an in top 10 sadly no site sorry..

also stick on this site, very good learning

join in the fun!

Upvote 0
VB is Visual Basic which can be used to make stand alone application.

VBA is Visual Basic for Application which can be used to exploit the features of applications such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back