VLOOKUP with text, numbers, and characters in string

perry_fawn

Board Regular
I am trying to use VLOOKUP on a string that contains text, numbers, and symbols and keep getting a N/A error. The look-up value is the mixed string of text, characters, and numbers and the return value from the table is numerical. I've tried formating the look-up value as text and still have had no luck. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Would you post some sample data so that we can see specific examples.

Upvote 0
Sure. In one workbook I have the look-up array which has billing codes in one column and billing descriptions in another column. The codes are numbered 1, 2, 3, ... 29 and the descriptions are 4-4-5 biweekly deduction, semi-annual 12 deductions, semi-annual 24 deductions, quarterly 12 deductions, biweekly billing and deduction,...

These are just a few examples. I have named the entire array BILLDED and I have named the description column BillDescriptions.

In another worksheet I have a cell (say A2) with a data validation list of BillDescriptions. In another cell I have a look-up function: =VLOOKUP(A2, BILLDED, 1, FALSE). Here the products codes are in the first column of the table.

I am recieving a N/A error and I think it is because of the mixed string of data. I'm using Excel 97.

I tried this problem out at home on a newer version of Excel and was able to solve to problem by moving the BillDescription column ahead of the code column but I'm not sure if this will work in 97.

Upvote 0
In your lookup table, is the BillDescription in the leftmost column?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back