Dynamic chart as a template or How to copy a dynamic chart

linuslund

I have designed a couple of graphs using named ranges to give dynamics to the number of series in a chart. This works fine as long as I don't want to copy and/or move the sheet to a new work book. When I do this, Excel chooses to remove all references to the named ranges in the SERIES forumla and replace them with fixed references (despite having scoped all named ranges to WS scope).

From googling I found the tip to save the WB as a template and use Insert sheet to add the graphs. This does not quite work as expected though. The SERIES formula points to the right named ranges, but when I update data the graph is not updated. If I save the new workbook and reopen it, it works as expected. Other quirks include not being able to Insert a second template without saving and reopening (the named ranges points to wrong sheet if I do not do this).

So my question is two-fold; has anyone seen this problem before and solved it? Or, has anyone been able to successfully copy/move a sheet and keep the named ranges without involving a "relink" macro?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back