#VALUE! error causing calculation problems in SUM formula

invisigirl

Board Regular
Okay. I've heard people say that you should not get a #VALUE! error simply because of blank cells - that a blank cell is interpreted as zero. Well, that does not seem to be the case for me. I have a spreadsheet that is summing data in column W for all the previous cells (Ex: A3:V3) in that row. Row 1 will be fine, row 2 will be fine, but row 3 doesn't have any data, so cell W3 displays the error message "#VALUE!"

Now, in cell W26, I'm summing W1:W25. I have 3 instances in column W where the formula result displays as #VALUE!. Therefore, W26 is also displaying as #VALUE!.

So, in very literal terms (because I'm much more of an English person than a computer guru), could someone explain to me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance to all the smarties!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Make sure that there are no hidden columns with errors that you're including in you sum formula.

Try deleting the sum formulas and use Excel to find the errors by: Choosing Edit > Goto from the menu, click Special, click Formulas and uncheck all but errors, click OK. Excel should select all cells with errors, or alert you if none is found.

Upvote 0
Okay, here's what happened. I looked at every cell being pulled in for the formula, and there was no data in any of them. HOWEVER, I thought, just for the heck of it, I'd try clearing those cells, and that worked. What the heck? I sincerely do not understand the workings of the world sometimes.

But, just out of curiosity, IS there a way to format a column so that if a formula results in an error message, a zero is returned instead? I know maybe it's better to find the error, but in cases like the question I asked, where it was something ridiculous like it was, and it would involve me clearing the offending cells (and the spreadsheet might be thousands of rows long), how would one go about trading errors for zeroes? If there is, in fact, a way.

Thanks for your help so far, people!

Upvote 0
Try using the on-line help and research the ISERROR function. Can set as part of a formula:

=if(iserror(A1),"0",(your formula))

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-15 14:03, nancyo wrote:
Try using the on-line help and research the ISERROR function. Can set as part of a formula:

=if(iserror(A1),"0",(your formula))

No need for double quotes around the zero.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back