Reverse Geocoding

Teak McGlukes

Hey guys, just want to let you know first of all, I don’t post a lot on the forums- but I sure do use a TON of the information I find here, it’s so helpful. It’s great to know there is a community of people out there so ready to assist others for free and put in hours of hard work just because they’re nice. So, thank you.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to do some reverse geocoding in Excel. Reverse geocoding is the process of taking a set of GPS coordinates and turning it into the closest available ‘human readable’ address.

For example, our local sheriff’s office is at 45.520585° latitude by -122.993693° longitude.

There is a service at geonames.org that offers reverse geocoding by a URL API. But, the results come back in XML format, and I just can’t get it to do what I want. I am familiar with web queries, at least ones that come back in standard HTML format. I can write them and insert variables, which I need to do- but I can’t get that working on the XML. You can see what it returns here:

http://ws.geonames.org/findNearestAddress?lat=45.520585&lng=-122.991466

Is there a way I can work with this and get it to accept variables? I would like to enter the coordinates into fields in the worksheet and have it go out and look up the address. When I treat it like a regular web query it doesn’t return all of the information.
Something else interesting I found is a guy that created an excel function out of a similar function from the geonames.org site (under the Latitude and Longitude from Geonames section).

http://www.codeforexcelandoutlook.com/excel-vba/latitude-longitude-functions/

So something like that would be great, but he hasn’t built one for the reverse geocoding, and I don’t know VBA well enough to adapt it.
I guess I’m just looking for some ideas.

Anything helps,
Thanks-
Teak

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Can you test again , it is still working ?
I run and show only #V/A.
Please advise.
or someone can help.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back