Conversion of Weights

Skip

I am creating a log which involves using pounds and ounces. The problem I'm having is converting the ounces to a whole number. (Example)What I would like to do is convert 12pounds 15 ounces, the next weight would be 7.9 or 7 pounds 9 ounces which when tabulated by me is 20 pounds 8 ounces. I have converted the pounds portion to ounces and used total ounces then divide by 16 and the answer i get is 20.5. How do i convert the .5 to 8 and as the ounces increase of course they convert to pounds and Im looking for a formula to do these conversion and list the weights from largest to smallest

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
On 2002-04-15 19:49, Skip wrote:
I am creating a log which involves using pounds and ounces. The problem I'm having is converting the ounces to a whole number. (Example)What I would like to do is convert 12pounds 15 ounces, the next weight would be 7.9 or 7 pounds 9 ounces which when tabulated by me is 20 pounds 8 ounces. I have converted the pounds portion to ounces and used total ounces then divide by 16 and the answer i get is 20.5. How do i convert the .5 to 8 and as the ounces increase of course they convert to pounds and Im looking for a formula to do these conversion and list the weights from largest to smallest

Hi Skip:
Let us just talk about 20.5 Pounds -- You have no problem with Pounds, now to convert the .5 part of 20.5 Pounds into ounces, you can use the MOD Function ...

=mod(20.5,1)*16 ... resulting in 8

what the mod function does pick up the fractional remainder when 20.5 is divided by 1, and then we have multiplied that by 16 to get 8

This message was edited by Yogi Anand on 2003-01-19 18:21

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back