Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Conversion of Weights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am creating a log which involves using pounds and ounces. The problem I'm having is converting the ounces to a whole number. (Example)What I would like to do is convert 12pounds 15 ounces, the next weight would be 7.9 or 7 pounds 9 ounces which when tabulated by me is 20 pounds 8 ounces. I have converted the pounds portion to ounces and used total ounces then divide by 16 and the answer i get is 20.5. How do i convert the .5 to 8 and as the ounces increase of course they convert to pounds and Im looking for a formula to do these conversion and list the weights from largest to smallest

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-04-15 19:49, Skip wrote:
    I am creating a log which involves using pounds and ounces. The problem I'm having is converting the ounces to a whole number. (Example)What I would like to do is convert 12pounds 15 ounces, the next weight would be 7.9 or 7 pounds 9 ounces which when tabulated by me is 20 pounds 8 ounces. I have converted the pounds portion to ounces and used total ounces then divide by 16 and the answer i get is 20.5. How do i convert the .5 to 8 and as the ounces increase of course they convert to pounds and Im looking for a formula to do these conversion and list the weights from largest to smallest
    Hi Skip:
    Let us just talk about 20.5 Pounds -- You have no problem with Pounds, now to convert the .5 part of 20.5 Pounds into ounces, you can use the MOD Function ...

=mod(20.5,1)*16 ... resulting in 8

what the mod function does pick up the fractional remainder when 20.5 is divided by 1, and then we have multiplied that by 16 to get 8

[ This Message was edited by: Yogi Anand on 2003-01-19 18:21 ]

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others