Thread: Licensing Question?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: Ownership

What I am thinking of doing on my programs is actually putting on a registration code.
    This means that when a certain date comes around then a msgbox pops up asking for the registration code.

If the code is correct then a new reregistration date is inserted in the workbook and the program is automatically saved with this new revision.

Set up a table somewhere with the dates, and their relevant registration codes in a hidden sheet, and make sure you keep a copy.

If you leave the company then you have all the access codes... and then you make them contract you in to make updates and changes to the program.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Qroozn:
    Very Interesting Approach Indeed!

Regards

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know its not the best approach.
    But I'd say it's acceptable for a novice like myself.

I welcome any better suggestions of what i can do!
    Colin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: Ownership

What I am thinking of doing on my programs is actually putting on a registration code.
    This means that when a certain date comes around then a msgbox pops up asking for the registration code.

If the code is correct then a new reregistration date is inserted in the workbook and the program is automatically saved with this new revision.

Set up a table somewhere with the dates, and their relevant registration codes in a hidden sheet, and make sure you keep a copy.

If you leave the company then you have all the access codes... and then you make them contract you in to make updates and changes to the program.

is it possible to do this in exel if so how?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good morning crasher0612

Itís certainly possible, simple even. A piece of code (Before_Save event) will xlVeryHide all sheets bar the introduction type sheet, containing a button for first time opening. On opening another piece of code (Workbook_Open event) will check for a valid license number / registration code in a cell. This could have been entered via a userform or InputBox etc. If this is found, all the other sheets will be made visible.

The downside : getting around this is a piece of cake. You donít even have to remove the VBA project password Ė but as we are all aware that is no barrier anyway. Excel is not secure (donít know how much better the new Excel 12 will be) but if you want to develop on it just be sure that those who want to take advantage of your work can do so relatively easily. Fortunately, unscrupulous employers don't always realise this.

HTH

DominicB

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others