Licensing Question?

L

Legacy 98055

Hi everyone.
This may be an unusual question for this forum, but I'll dig as much out of you guys as I can.
I am actually a truck driver who took an interest in computers about a year ago.
I have quickly been elevated to "guru" status at my local office, which does not say alot, but does afford me the oportunity to make alot more money than my counterparts.
I purchased Microsoft Visual Studio and have mostly done my work in VB. Have recently started to learn Excel as well. Purchased Office 2000.
Some of the work for various projects has been done at work, some at home.
To the point. I just found out that a copy of an extensive Excel project I created was just sent to a similiar account in another state. They are also requesting copies of several fairly large VB projects as well.
My question is. Who owns this software?
I was paid and am not trying to be greedy, but I feel somewhat usurped. The Excel project is locked and some editing will be needed to customize for the new location. They want the password for one of their people to edit my code. They also want the source code from my VB projects. Can they demand this? The VB projects were written soley on my purchased Visual Studio.
I searched the web and could find nothing that seemed relevant to my question.
As always, I appreciate the help.
Tom

RE: Ownership

What I am thinking of doing on my programs is actually putting on a registration code.
This means that when a certain date comes around then a msgbox pops up asking for the registration code.

If the code is correct then a new reregistration date is inserted in the workbook and the program is automatically saved with this new revision.

Set up a table somewhere with the dates, and their relevant registration codes in a hidden sheet, and make sure you keep a copy.

If you leave the company then you have all the access codes... and then you make them contract you in to make updates and changes to the program.

:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I know its not the best approach.
But I'd say it's acceptable for a novice like myself.

I welcome any better suggestions of what i can do!

Upvote 0
RE: Ownership

What I am thinking of doing on my programs is actually putting on a registration code.
This means that when a certain date comes around then a msgbox pops up asking for the registration code.

If the code is correct then a new reregistration date is inserted in the workbook and the program is automatically saved with this new revision.

Set up a table somewhere with the dates, and their relevant registration codes in a hidden sheet, and make sure you keep a copy.

If you leave the company then you have all the access codes... and then you make them contract you in to make updates and changes to the program.

:)

is it possible to do this in exel if so how?

Upvote 0
Good morning crasher0612

It’s certainly possible, simple even. A piece of code (Before_Save event) will xlVeryHide all sheets bar the introduction type sheet, containing a button for first time opening. On opening another piece of code (Workbook_Open event) will check for a valid license number / registration code in a cell. This could have been entered via a userform or InputBox etc. If this is found, all the other sheets will be made visible.

The downside : getting around this is a piece of cake. You don’t even have to remove the VBA project password – but as we are all aware that is no barrier anyway. Excel is not secure (don’t know how much better the new Excel 12 will be) but if you want to develop on it just be sure that those who want to take advantage of your work can do so relatively easily. Fortunately, unscrupulous employers don't always realise this.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back