Simple VLookup Problem (I hope!)

Nibbles

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a simple array of data consisting of several columns. Each column holds data for a specific date.

On a seperate worksheet I wish to display this data for each date and I am using lookup functions to get it. I am using the following formula:

VLOOKUP($A1,'Sheet2'!$A1:$AE273,3,0)

All I want to do is drag this formula across my cells so that the column reference number (3 in the example above) will increase by 1 for each column. No matter what I try the column ref will always remain fixed.

Can anyone help? It is driving me insane!

Many thanks,

Nibbles

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
On 2002-04-16 02:53, Nibbles wrote:
Hi,

I have a simple array of data consisting of several columns. Each column holds data for a specific date.

On a seperate worksheet I wish to display this data for each date and I am using lookup functions to get it. I am using the following formula:

VLOOKUP($A1,'Sheet2'!$A1:$AE273,3,0)

All I want to do is drag this formula across my cells so that the column reference number (3 in the example above) will increase by 1 for each column. No matter what I try the column ref will always remain fixed.

Can anyone help? It is driving me insane!

Many thanks,

Nibbles

Which cell did you put this formula?

Upvote 0
Hi Aladdin,

That formula was just an example to illustrate the principal that I need. Say I have a column of data from A2:A273 on Sheet 1, and i wanted to use this to lookup data from A2:AE273 on sheet 2. I would want to enter the following formula in B2:

Vlookup($A2,'Sheet2'!$A2:$AE273,2,0)

I would then want to drag this formula across the range B2:AE273 on sheet 1. However when I do this the column ref will remain fixed at 2, whereas I want it to be 3 for column C, 4 for column D etc.

Hope this explains my problem better,

Nibbles

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-16 03:02, Nibbles wrote:
Hi Aladdin,

That formula was just an example to illustrate the principal that I need. Say I have a column of data from A2:A273 on Sheet 1, and i wanted to use this to lookup data from A2:AE273 on sheet 2. I would want to enter the following formula in B2:

Vlookup($A2,'Sheet2'!$A2:$AE273,2,0)

I would then want to drag this formula across the range B2:AE273 on sheet 1. However when I do this the column ref will remain fixed at 2, whereas I want it to be 3 for column C, 4 for column D etc.

Hope this explains my problem better,

Nibbles

In B2 enter and copy across:

VLOOKUP($A2,'Sheet2'!$A2:$AE273,COLUMN(),0)

Upvote 0
That's fantastic Aladdin, thankyou very much, I knew it would be annoyingly simple!

All the best,

Nibbles

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back