Date calculation and rounding within a fiscal year

kterkuile

First of all: best wishes to all the geniussus (i.e. you, yes you know who you are). I was wondering if any of you has had this challenge before.

I'm trying to do a date calculation in a fiscal year.
  1. I have a date (1-26-2010) and want to add a number of days (90)
  2. I then want to round down to the first of that month (so 4-26-2010 becomes 4-1-2010)
  3. All these calculations are to be done within a fiscal year (12 months of 30 days each, so 360 days in a year)
I can't get my head round on how to tackle this. 1. I can do 2. maybe but with 3 put together it wholly illudes me. Is there anyone who could help me please? Thanks so much

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The biggest problem here would be to do a datecalculation that involves a 360 day year so I would suggest

=DATE(YEAR(N2) + INT(L1/360),MONTH(N2) + FLOOR((L1 - INT(L1/360)*360)/30,1),DAY(N2) + MOD(L1,30))

I tested this using

N2 = 1/1/2010 (the starting date)
L1 = 370 (the number of days you want to move forward)

This would not do the truncation. I would use another cell with
DATE( YEAR(NEW DATE), 1, DAY(NEW DATE))

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disregarding the fiscal year part if you have a date in A2 and a number of days to add in B2 this formula would add those days and give the 1st of the resulting month

=A2+B2-DAY(A2+B2)+1

....but assuming each month is 30 days (if A2 is 31st it's taken to be 30th) then try this formula using EOMONTH

=EOMONTH(A2,INT((B2+MIN(DAY(A2),30)-1)/30)-1)+1

So if A2 is 2nd June and B2 is 59 the first formula would give you 1st July (because 2nd June + 59 days is 31st July) but the 2nd would give 1st August because July is deemed to have 30 days rather than 31.

Upvote 0
Thanks you guys! That was soooooooooooo quick! I'll definitely try these because they're function based.

I travel by train to my work and back again by train. If all goes well it's a journey of an hour so that leaves me plenty of time to ponder my excel problems of that day and I thought about this one today (I just arrived home after a journey that unexpectedly took more than an hour :grumble).

In the train I realised that i can split the column the date is in (VBA alas), add 3 to the monthnumber (and correct for october, november & december and the following year) unless the datenumber is 1 in which case I should add 2 to the monthnumber, put the date back together with the value of 1 as the datenumber, et voilá - as they say in French, you've got your date and the fiscal year mumbo jumbo turns out to be nothing but a red herring.

Thank you guys for getting me started; you couldn't begin to imagine how grateful I am for both your time and effort! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back