weighted median

sarahrosenberg

Board Regular
I am trying to find a "weighted median." I have three columns. The first column shows a product SKU, the second column shows a shipment count for that SKU, and the third column shows a price for that SKU. I want the median price for shipments. If I use the Median formula on the price column, it will not take into consideration the number of shipments.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Try this: (Assuming that the 2nd column is B and the 3rd column is C)

Use Ctrl-Alt-Enter to make this an array formula:

=AVERAGE((B2:B6)/(A2:A6))

Obviously, replace the ranges with your real data ranges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, forgot to fix from copying in my xls

=AVERAGE((C1:C10)/(B1:B10))
Ctrl-Alt-Enter

To answer your question, you can do a manual of the same thing by dividing each Cost by shipments in a new column & then averaging the total of that column. It results in the same number as the single formula above.

Upvote 0
For a weighted median, I'd do a running total of the shipment count in a 4th column, then calculate what half the shipment total count is, then perform a lookup using this value on the running total.

Say your running total is in D2:D20, your prices are C2:C20 and the shipping counts B2:B20

=LOOKUP(SUM(B2:B20)/2,D2:D20,C2:C20)

Would give you the weighted median.

for the running total, =sum(B2:B$2) in D2 and copy down

Upvote 0
Hello Weaver,

That sort of approach will only work if C2:C10 is sorted ascending, also you'd always get one of the values from C2:C10 as the result, whereas a genuine median (by excel's definition at least) would give you a value halfway between the midpoints given an even number of values, therefore possibly not a value in the list

This formula will give you the median on unsorted values

=MEDIAN(LOOKUP(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&SUM(B2:B10)))-1,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(B1,0,0,ROW(B2:B10)-ROW(B2)+1)),C2:C10))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello jk,

That would be the correct formula for a weighted average, which isn't the same as a weighted median......

Upvote 0
Hello Weaver,

That sort of approach will only work if C2:C10 is sorted ascending, also you'd always get one of the values from C2:C10 as the result, whereas a genuine median (by excel's definition at least) would give you a value halfway between the midpoints given an even number of values, therefore possibly not a value in the list

This formula will give you the median on unsorted values

=MEDIAN(LOOKUP(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&SUM(B2:B10)))-1,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(B1,0,0,ROW(B2:B10)-ROW(B2)+1)),C2:C10))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

That's clever Barry. Surprisingly straightforward when I started analysing it too (y)

By the way, given your absence from at least the last two 'Thursday nights', you owe me two pints (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back