What is the difference between VB and VBA?

Cosmos75

Like the topic says,
"What is the difference between VB and VBA?"

How does it affect what code I write for Excel?
This message was edited by Cosmos75 on 2002-04-16 09:56

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
You can read the following site:
http://www.excel-vba-access.com/vba-excel-tips-intro.htm

But it is best summarized as follows:

• *Should I learn VBA or VB?

Let's say that VB is for programmers and VBA is for users (or developers). Personally, I took hundreds of hours of training in VB but I do all my work in VBA (Excel and Access). You don't need to learn VB to be good at VBA. I adopted VBA because most of the functions I need to organize and analyze data are pre-programmed in Excel and Access. It costs a lot less to develop financial and management applications in Excel and Access than to re-invent the wheel and do everything in VB.

*What is the difference between VB, VBA for Excel, VBA for Access, VBA for Word, VBA for Project, etc?

To answer this question, I will ask you to imagine a meeting of five English speaking persons, a lawyer, an accountant, a physician, a chemist and a psychologist. They all speak English but when it is time to talk about their work, none of them totally understand the other. It is the same with each VBA, the objects, properties, methods and events vary from a language to the other.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what MS have planned for the 'next-gen' of VBA? I've heard quite a few programmers are disgruntled to say the least with the arrival of VB.Net (or VB.Not as some wags termed it).

Upvote 0
It wouldn't surprise me if MS didn't know either yet. I doubt they'll do anything as drastic as the change from XLM to VBA though. VB and VBA have become very useful since their inception. Probably the only thing to halt VB or VBA would be if everyone switched Operating Systems.

Upvote 0
i have hurd no intentiobs to drop VBA ie Excels VB(a) . NET and XML is taking over VB does XLM in my company.. if that helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back