Need help with lookup

Dave Gibson

I think I can do this with a lookup function, but I need help to find the simplest way. I've got two columns of uncorrected data featuring elapsed time and a corresponding value. I need to compare the value to a standard deviation, and if the value is less than the sd, enter the elapsed time and value in two adjacent columns as corrected data. Is there an easy way to do this?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Is the SD just one value that is in a cell somewhere, or is this a value that must be looked up from a list of several values? If it's just 1 single value, then all you need is an IF formula.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-16 10:30, Dave Gibson wrote:
I think I can do this with a lookup function, but I need help to find the simplest way. I've got two columns of uncorrected data featuring elapsed time and a corresponding value. I need to compare the value to a standard deviation, and if the value is less than the sd, enter the elapsed time and value in two adjacent columns as corrected data. Is there an easy way to do this?

Lets say that A2 houses an elapsed time and B2 the corresponding value.

In C2 enter: =IF(LEN(D2),A2,"")

In D2 enter: =IF(B2<the-sd-value,B2,"")

Upvote 0
The SD is one value, so I tried using an IF function. The problem is, the current worksheet allows for 25 data points. That's too many for a nested IF statement. But you have the idea. What I want to do is compare the value in row 1 to the SD. If it's less, then enter that value in row 1. If it's more, then compare the value in row 2 to the SD. If it's less, enter the value in row 1. The point is to extract the qualifying data from one column and transfer it to another column without any blank cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back