VBA Code Location Question - Module vs. Worksheet Level Code

Matanuska

Can anyone offer any general guidelines regarding code placement (in modules vs. sheets vs. workbooks. vs. class modules)?

Is vba code stored in a sheet object limited to handling events, buttons, dropdowns, etc?

If I define a custom function in a sheet object I can see it back in Excel in the Insert Function list but it won't work, even when I include the full path.

Works fine when stored in a regular VBA module.

(FWIW - I wanted to put the function in the worksheet object so the code would go along with the worksheet when it was pulled out of a workbook. I've since learned in this forum how to export code from a module & then re-import it into the new workbook, but the other way sure would have been easier.)

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Great!

Export and Import?
Cut and paste works well when you're in the same workbook. (Delete any empty modules.) If you're *sharing* your code with someone else--that's when I export. Then send them the *.bas file.

Upvote 0
Export & import because I'm cloning a set of worksheets programatically from hidden template sheets to create a new workbook when a button is clicked & some code modules need to go along with the sheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back