Excel 2010 Conditional Formatting Disable Cell Alignment

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am perplexed and confused. Having recently moved from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010 I am having a learning curve to ride again ... but that aside, I have a problem I cannot resolve ...

I have a group of cells with data validation rules to allow only a Y or N as the cell values. The normal cell background is light yellow and I use conditional formatting to change the background to light pink if the cell value = Y, thereby displaying yellow cells for N and pink cells for Y. In Excel 2010, when the result of conditional formatting is True (ie., cell = Y), the background turns pink but the cell alignment changes from center aligned to left aligned. There is nothing I can do stop that from occurring. Has anyone seen this situation? Is there a solution to maintain the cell alignment and stop it from becoming left aligned?

Thanks,

Steve

OK, I know this thread is a few years old now, but I just ran into this same problem, and I found a solution that may work for others. If the file is in the old .xls format, just do a Save As and choose the new .xlsx format, or if it has macros/vba, choose .xlsm format. When I did this, the alignment errors in CF went away completely.

I am having this issue with a macro-enabled Excel 2013 workbook. It is already in the .xlsm format, and the properties for each sheet already have "EnableFormatConditionsCalculation" set to TRUE. I can't figure out why on earth my cell alignment properties are being overwritten when my conditional formats kick in. Has anyone found any other solutions for this bug?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
1 year after last post I am adding to the thread. After attempting both the extension (xlsx, xlsm) and developer solutions to no avail, i just copied sheets into a new book and the alignment bug was fixed.

Upvote 0
I had this same problem too, and the source file was already .xlsx. No amount of different tactics seems to fix it. I only had the one sheet with about 1,000 lines, and I copied and pasted it to a new instance of Excel which fixed this issue. (but I don't know what the cause is.) If you have a workbook with links and pivots etc. a copy-paste solution may not work for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back