Formula for "If blank then A, if not blank then B"

cvvveu

I have two columns in my spreadsheet. Column A has no blank fields, Column B has some blank fields. I would like to show the text from Column A in the same row of Column B only when Column B is blank.

So, basically I'm after: If column B has text, do nothing. If column B is blank, then list text from Column A.

Right now I've created Column C with this formula =IF(ISBLANK(B1), A1. That's working to get the text from A1 when B1 is blank. What can I do/add to get it pull the text from B1 if there is text there? Or...is there a better approach altogether?

I need a more complex version:

I have 5 columns of dates. Columns 1-4 get added as time and events happen. When an even occurs, the date goes in column 1. The second time the event occurs the date goes in column 2, etc. I would like column 5 to look at the first 4 columns and reflect the last date given. I'm thinking the logic would be something like: If A4 is blank, than A3. If A3 is blank than A2. If A2 is blank than A1. If A1 is blank than blank. But I have no idea how to write that formula! Any advice?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi,

Try this:

Excel 2010
ABCDE
11/2/20161/31/20162/16/20162/16/2016
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E1=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:D1)

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try this:

Excel 2010
ABCDE
11/2/20161/31/20162/16/20162/16/2016

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E1=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:D1)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
That worked perfectly! Thank you!

Upvote 0
I could use some help with the ISBLANK function. I use excel to track the mandatory training completion of employees in our various departments. I use algorithms that place a "1" in a tally column if the date entered is current or a "0" if no current date is entered. These are then totaled for percent completed by each employee and for each training item. The problem I am having is with one-time training where there isn't an expiration. I want it to enter a "0" in E3 if there is no date entered in E4 and a "1" if there is. Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

For future reference, it's usually better to open a new thread for a question, instead of adding your question to an old thread. It's often a matter of luck if anyone will see your question.

As far as your question, how about:

E3: =IF(E4="",0,1)

There are some differences between ISBLANK and ="", mainly how they handle a cell with a formula that returns a blank.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

For future reference, it's usually better to open a new thread for a question, instead of adding your question to an old thread. It's often a matter of luck if anyone will see your question.

As far as your question, how about:

E3: =IF(E4="",0,1)

There are some differences between ISBLANK and ="", mainly how they handle a cell with a formula that returns a blank.

Thanks Eric. Much appreciated. - Ken

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back