Conditional formatting

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP
Good Morning,

I have in row 1 dates, 1,2,3 etc.
In row 2 I have days, mon, tue, wed, that corresponds to row 1. In row 3, I would like to shade days off, and not necessarily sat/sun, but also mon/tue etc. The month does not matter. Can the shading be done by using a condtional format, instead of clicking the cells and formatting them manually? Mahalo.....

Brian
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-02-24 07:00

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
On 2002-02-24 07:00, Brian from Maui wrote:
Good Morning,

I have in row 1 dates, 1,2,3 etc.
In row 2 I have days, mon, tue, wed, that corresponds to row 1. In row 3, I would like to shade days off, and not necessarily sat/sun, but also mon/tue etc. The month does not matter. Can the shading be done by using a condtional format, instead of clicking the cells and formatting them manually? Mahalo.....

Brian
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-02-24 07:00

You can have at most 3 conditions/colors thru Format|Conditional Formatting. There is some VBA code to go beyond that limit, which you can uncover from the Archives.

Aladin

Upvote 0
Aladin,

As you well know, my knowledge of formulas and Excel is very limited, doing VBA codes is something I'd like to avoid. I'm trying different IF functions.

Brian

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-24 07:43, Brian from Maui wrote:
Aladin,

As you well know, my knowledge of formulas and Excel is very limited, doing VBA codes is something I'd like to avoid. I'm trying different IF functions.

Brian

If 3 colors are sufficient for your purpose, it's doable with ordinary cond format.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Actually, I only need one color. And only two conditons. If a2="mon and b2="tue, then color a3 and b3, but my range is from a2:eek:2. Make sense. I'm trying a countif and if functions.

Brian
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-02-24 07:59

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-24 07:57, Brian from Maui wrote:
Aladin,

Actually, I only need one color. And only two conditons. If a2="mon and b2="tue, then color a3 and b3. Make sense. I'm trying a countif and if functions.

Brian

Select A3:B3.
Activate Format|Conditional Formatting.
Choose Formula Is for Condition 1.
Enter in the Formula Box:

=AND($A$2="mon",$B$2="tue")

Activate Format.
Choose a color on the Patterns tab.
Click OK, OK.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

The =and doesn't work. I've used in a3
countif(a2:eek:2,"mon") and that works for one cell, but copy and pasting along the rows, colors the whole row.

Brian

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-24 08:25, Brian from Maui wrote:
Aladin,

The =and doesn't work. I've used in a3
countif(a2:eek:2,"mon") and that works for one cell, but copy and pasting along the rows, colors the whole row.

Brian

I notice you're changing your specs.

What do you want exactly?

Is it, If a2="mon" and b2="tue", (a) color a3 and b3 as you intially stated or (b) color row 3?

If (b), select row 3 by clicking the row indicator, apply the proc I described.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

What I want is:
if a2=mon,b2=tue, color a3 and b3.
Then I need to drag the format for the whole work month.
I've selected a3 and b3, put the formula in, selected a color, but the cells are still blank.

Brian

Upvote 0
Hi brian how the coast sunny i bet! Rain and RAIN!

Lokk if you need some VBA code can i help i have 25 or so conditions that work at a snal subject to col data i wanted line / row coloured...

If so email me at my work you have me email and send the sheet ill have a look and sed back

Rdgs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back