IF function

sprinkle

I am a student enrolled in a technical school. I am currently studying Microsoft Excel 2000. My instructor gave an assignment. Upon completion of this assignment, I was told that one of the answers I had given was wrong. The instructor wasn't even sure how to correctly do this problem, but guessed on the answer anyway. I disagree with her answer, could you please help me. The problem is a word problem having to do with writing an IF function. Here is the problem:
Write an IF function for cell H5 that assigns the text "Eligible" if the value in cell H12 is three times greater than the value in cell H13; otherwise the IF function assigns the text "Not Eligible".
Please try to help me with with this problem. I really want to understand all of Excel 2000.
Thank You

Sally Folds

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
On 2002-04-16 16:59, sprinkle wrote:
I am a student enrolled in a technical school. I am currently studying Microsoft Excel 2000. My instructor gave an assignment. Upon completion of this assignment, I was told that one of the answers I had given was wrong. The instructor wasn't even sure how to correctly do this problem, but guessed on the answer anyway. I disagree with her answer, could you please help me. The problem is a word problem having to do with writing an IF function. Here is the problem:
Write an IF function for cell H5 that assigns the text "Eligible" if the value in cell H12 is three times greater than the value in cell H13; otherwise the IF function assigns the text "Not Eligible".
Please try to help me with with this problem. I really want to understand all of Excel 2000.
Thank You

Sally Folds

I'd accept

=IF(H12>=3*H13,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

as an answer.

Upvote 0
The following may be what you are after:
=IF(H12>=H13*3,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

HTH

PS. Aladin is too quick for me.
This message was edited by BabyTiger on 2002-04-16 17:10

Upvote 0
if it needs to be exactly and only exactly 3 times greater:
=IF(H12=H13*3,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-16 16:59, sprinkle wrote:
Thank You

Sally Folds

Hi Sally,

Logically, if H12 is equal to 3*H13 then "Eligible." If that is not the case, then H12 is less than or greater than H13 * 3, and thus "Not Eligible."

In Cell H5
=IF(H12=H13*3,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

based on the standard IF syntax
IF(test, result if test is TRUE, result if FALSE)

However, I can easily see where the confusion comes in. Somewhat tricky wording at first glance, for sure.

Is H5 "Eligible" if H12 > 3*H12, meaning only if strictly greater than?
=IF(H12>H13*3,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

Or, "Eligible" if greater than or equal to >=?
=IF(H12>=H13*3,"Eligible","Not Eligible")

Based on the wording of your question, H5 is "Eligible" only when H12 is exactly 3 times H13.

I am sure your instructor argued one of these three options, but the first choice is the one that is correct.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back