How to unhide a hidden macro?

RaymondW

I have an Excel workbook that was created by a former coworker. It includes a macro that, among other things, displays a message box about the 2008 file. The macro runs as soon as the file is opened. I'd like to access that macro to correct the date to 2011 and see what else, if anything, it's doing for me (it doesn't appear to do much). I can find references to creating macros to hide and unhide rows/columns and I found ways to delete all macros in a workbook, but I cannot find anything about unhiding a macro without knowing its name.

Does anyone know of a way to unhide this macro?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Press Alt+F11 this will open the VBE, from there you should see a directory of open projects on the left of the screen. Just locate the project you're looking for (it's the same name as the workbook of interest. In there you should be able to see all and any macros that belong to the workbook.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Dave. When I do that, I can see the VBA Project for the workbook. Under that are the Microsoft Excel Objects (14 sheets plus This Workbook) and Modules (Module1 through Module5). As I click each one, I'd expect to see the macro appear on the right, but each of the Objects and Modules appear to be empty. :(

Upvote 0
That's bizarre, I can't think of a feature of excel that would allow such actions without you being able to see the code. Are you able to send the book to me to have a look?

Upvote 0
hi Reymond, i refer to your vintage message. did you find any solution for this issue? cause I'm having the same :(

Upvote 0
I am having a similar issue. I have some macro that was part of an autosave, from a couple years ago that just started to pop back up, i deleted the sheets it was referring to hoping that would stop it, but it doesn't. I to have gone through and don't see any sheets that have any macro or codes running. SO, how can i find this and get rid of it?

Upvote 0
Hi PlumGr8,

Sounds like it might be a workbook event macro. Double click on the ThisWorkbook object under the Microsoft Excel Objects heading within the VBE (refer dave3009 post #2 above) and if there's code there either delete or comment it out.

Robert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is the message that is shown on start up? Let's suppose that its "Hi. ABC"

Open the VBEditor and use the Find function to find "Hi. ABC" in the VBProject.

Upvote 0
maybe the code is there but it preceded by a large number - say 200 - blank lines?

can you check for that within the code modules? such as use the scroll bar, or CTRL-END within the module to go to the end

Upvote 0
I am gonna check hopefully today. It was originally part of an auto-save function that we haven't used in a while since excel does it now. Just randomly started, gonna see if i can find out some more info later today or tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back