A good example of how to summarize data in excel

benkong2

I have to summarize data by week from many users in a worksheet template. (Thanks to this list I now use a template to collect this data by month). What I need is a good example of how to compile this data to show each users progress toward their goal and how to show the groups progress towards its goals. Example: All four users have a goal of painting 120 widgets for the year. I want to have a column that has a plan of 120 widgets and each week a column tha the user will input how many widgets were painted for the week. I have many columns that track elements like this.
Currently eash user has a sheet that uses 4 weekly rows and 1 totals row. There 44 columns that contain Plan/Actual data for each week.
I take each users data and add it up by week to get a group total. Then I take all the group totals and add them together by week for a higer level view. Is there a good example of how to do this? Would someone please help me to learn how?
Thank you

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
benkong2
it's not that you didn't ask it correctly, it's probably more because you're really asking a design question, which can be pretty tough because there are so many possibilities. remember that making sure your users can understand and will use the sheet is the most important thing.
from your post it sounds like you have most of your data set up already, but as a start i'd suggest you consider using charts and pivot tables. chip pearson's site has a good section on pivot tables which may help. it's at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm.
charts are pretty easy to create with the wizard and the help topic isn't bad. i know this is pretty general advice but it was a pretty general question you asked.

On 2002-02-25 03:35, benkong2 wrote:
Guess I did not ask this one correctly

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply I will try.

On 2002-02-25 16:00, anno wrote:
benkong2
it's not that you didn't ask it correctly, it's probably more because you're really asking a design question, which can be pretty tough because there are so many possibilities. remember that making sure your users can understand and will use the sheet is the most important thing.
from your post it sounds like you have most of your data set up already, but as a start i'd suggest you consider using charts and pivot tables. chip pearson's site has a good section on pivot tables which may help. it's at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm.
charts are pretty easy to create with the wizard and the help topic isn't bad. i know this is pretty general advice but it was a pretty general question you asked.

On 2002-02-25 03:35, benkong2 wrote:
Guess I did not ask this one correctly

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back