Is there a way to shorten this formula?

Phylis Sophical

This is somewhat the same problem I had with a zero value in the divide cell. I am adding up every other cell, then dividing it by a total of several other non consecutive cells. This is my formula so far:
=SUM(B4,B12,B20,B28,B36,B44)/SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49)

I want to do something like what you showed me before with the =IF(A1=0,0,(rest of formula.

Do I have to do the =IF and then list every one of these cells or is there a shorter way?
This message was edited by Phylis Sophical on 2002-04-16 23:14

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Once again, I think I answered my own question but I would like to know if others think this will work. I won't really know until I have some figures to put into the cells. Here's what I did:
=IF(B4:B49=0,0,(B4,B12,B20,B28,B36,B44)/SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49))
So the first part says to ignore any cells between B4 and B49 if they have a zero value. Otherwise, add the first bunch and divide by the second bunch. Does it look right?

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-16 23:12, Phylis Sophical wrote:
Once again, I think I answered my own question but I would like to know if others think this will work. I won't really know until I have some figures to put into the cells. Here's what I did:
=IF(B4:B49=0,0,(B4,B12,B20,B28,B36,B44)/SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49))
So the first part says to ignore any cells between B4 and B49 if they have a zero value. Otherwise, add the first bunch and divide by the second bunch. Does it look right?

Try
=IF(SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49)=0,0,(B4,B12,B20,B28,B36,B44)/SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49))

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-16 21:49, Phylis Sophical wrote:
This is somewhat the same problem I had with a zero value in the divide cell. I am adding up every other cell, then dividing it by a total of several other non consecutive cells. This is my formula so far:

I want to do something like what you showed me before with the =IF(A1=0,0,(rest of formula.

Do I have to do the =IF and then list every one of these cells or is there a shorter way?
This message was edited by Phylis Sophical on 2002-04-16 23:14

Hi Phylis,

I'm entirely sure what you're trying to achieve here,
I am adding up every other cell?

isn't every other cell?

then dividing it by a total of several other non consecutive cells.

What is the relevance of these cells, what makes these cells the ones you need to use?

Would you care to explain a little further. So I can better understand your problem.

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Ian please excuse me for not making this more clear. Yes it was more than every other cell. I should know better. Part of the problem I find with Excel is trying to explain oneself as Excel is a language unto it's own. Here is a more detailed explanation:

This is a questionaire that has 6 questions and a possibility of 5 diffrent responses from Outstanding to Poor. B4,12,20,28,36,44 represent Outstanding for each of the 6 questions.

The other series, B9,17,25,33,41,49 represent the total amount of responses to each question. (All the Oustandings, Excellents, Goods, Okay's and Poor's combined)

I am trying to determine what percentage of the total responses are Outstanding. And so on with the others. So I take all the outstandings and devide that by the total number of responses to all 6 questions.

The formula I had, worked out fine except that if there is no value in the divisor cell, I get #DIV/0! in every cell I make this formula in. (1 formula cell for every Outstanding, Excellent, etc. times 12 months. That's 72 cells that I need this formula for a Summary of all questions. That's alot of #DIV/0!'s!!!!

I noticed that people do post their worksheets but this takes up an intire 8 1/2 X 14" sheet.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-17 00:06, Phylis Sophical wrote:
Ian please excuse me for not making this more clear. Yes it was more than every other cell. I should know better. Part of the problem I find with Excel is trying to explain oneself as Excel is a language unto it's own. Here is a more detailed explanation:

This is a questionaire that has 6 questions and a possibility of 5 diffrent responses from Outstanding to Poor. B4,12,20,28,36,44 represent Outstanding for each of the 6 questions.

The other series, B9,17,25,33,41,49 represent the total amount of responses to each question. (All the Oustandings, Excellents, Goods, Okay's and Poor's combined)

I am trying to determine what percentage of the total responses are Outstanding. And so on with the others. So I take all the outstandings and devide that by the total number of responses to all 6 questions.

The formula I had, worked out fine except that if there is no value in the divisor cell, I get #DIV/0! in every cell I make this formula in. (1 formula cell for every Outstanding, Excellent, etc. times 12 months. That's 72 cells that I need this formula for a Summary of all questions. That's alot of #DIV/0!'s!!!!

I noticed that people do post their worksheets but this takes up an intire 8 1/2 X 14" sheet.

OK then,

What are the values in the 'outstanding' cells, the 'Excellent' etc.?

I feel this may be better achieved using count. Putting the value into just 1 cell i.e. 1 to 5 = poor-outstanding.

then working with that data.

if you like you could e-mail an example of your problem and I could look further into it, there must a ton ways to achieve the desired result and would like to see which I could suggest.

Upvote 0
On the assumption that the two sets of numbers yield a useful Average.

=IF(SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49),(SUM(B4,B12,B20,B28,B36,B44)/SUM(B9,B17,B25,B33,B41,B49)),"")

or name the two sets of numbers

=IF(SUM(rY),SUM(rX)/SUM(rY))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back