Copy a named range from one worksheet to another

dcannell

I'm no expert w/ Excel for sure but I'd like to copy a named range from one worksheet to another but can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help you can give me, Dave

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Select the entire range, click on Copy icon.
Go to the new worksheet, click in the cell where you want the range to begin, click the Paste icon.

Upvote 0
dave
phylis' suggestion will certainly copy the cells in the range, but i got the impression you wanted to take the range name itself as well as the cells.
if it's from one worksheet to another in the same workbook you won't be able to do it because you can't have duplicate range names in a workbook, even if they are in different worksheets.
if it's pasting to another workbook you'll again do as phylis suggested and then define the range name over again. as far as i know there's no way to take the range name to another workbook unless you copy the whole sheet across.
This message was edited by anno on 2002-04-16 23:05
This message was edited by anno on 2002-04-16 23:09

Upvote 0
Anno, You're correct, I wanted to copy the named range to another worksheet in the same workbook. But what is it called when there is a reference to the worksheet and a range? Like 'Sheet1'!$C$3:$h$5 ... I know at work I've seen references like this on maybe sheet 2, bringing that data over from sheet 1. Thanks again for your help, Dave

Upvote 0
But what is it called when there is a reference to the worksheet and a range? Like 'Sheet1'!$C$3:$h$5 ...

this is an external reference. to do this, in a cell in one sheet type "=" (no quotes), then go to another sheet, click on a cell and press enter. you've just created an external reference.
to get a range of cells as you've used in your example above, in your destination sheet select a range of cells the same size as the range you want to copy, type "=" into the formula bar, go to your source sheet, select the cells you want and press ctrl+shift+enter simultaneously.
This message was edited by anno on 2002-04-16 23:28

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back