Problems with Shared Workbooks

daveparrinbull

Hi All,

I've got 8 shared workbooks and about 18 staff who use them all, on each worksheet is a button which saves the workbook and the re-opens it (kinda like a refresh button), now i'm having people save the workbooks but the saves are not there when the workbook is re-opened? BUT there are temporary files appearing with their saved changed in the same directory as the workbooks?.

Basically how can I stop this from happeneing?

it only happens to about 2-3 people...

I dont know if this is relevant but there is a list of authorised users, these peeps can only update & save the workbook, anyone else who opens it can only view it in read-only?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
King Audiojoe? You must be Audiojo-king!

Does it put these users in straight away with Read-Only Access or does it ask for a password?

Upvote 0
Right click on the Start button and choose Explore. Then find the file you want to query, highlight it, then click File/Properties/Security/Permissions. This allows you to choose who has what sort of control over the file. You need to click ADD and then select the people you want, and what sort of control they will have (Full Control/All is best for people making lots of changes)

Upvote 0
AudioJoe,

The users who have permission to amend go straight into the shared workbook, the unauthorised users go straight in to the workbook as shared&readonly. There are no passwords in place.

Also I have tried the "click File/Properties/Security/Permissions" routine but the Security tab is not there? i'm using Windows 98 if that helps!

Upvote 0
That happens on mine too if I just click File/Properties. But if you right click on Start and choose explore, and do it that way, you'll get the security tab

Upvote 0
We very occasionally get this problem with the shared workbooks I've done for our QC department. I looked it up on MS support and, although I couldn't find a direct match for the problem, I think it's due to the workbook being opened at the same time as someone else is saving it, resulting in the workbook either becoming'locked' so you can't open it at all or, rarely, Read Only. The problem seems to go away if you close the workbook then re-open it a couple of minutes later.

I hate shared workbooks they're a total pain and they really bloat with the change history after a while.

Upvote 0
They're also a total pain if they have drop down lists. I always get asked to add something to them or change one of them, which means asking everyone to come out while I do it

Upvote 0
Christ, tell me about it. I'm responsible for around a dozen shared spreadsheets and around 2 dozen summary sheets based on them (naturally you can't have pivot tables in shared workbooks :(). At the start of every quarter all the users, who've been told to submit any chnage requests well in advance, suddenly decide they want this and that added and I spend a week arsing about. In addition the fecking QA dept wants the change history kept for auditing purposes so I have to copy and paste that every time before I can make changes. Nightmare.

Upvote 0
Guess what...

Still have terrible trouble with people opening and saving at the same time!

Anyone know how to actually get round this once and forall?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back