random sorts

savtrack

I need to take a list of numbers and then shuffle them...I am creating lane assignments for a track meet and I need to take athletes and randomly assign them to lanes 1-9. any help would be appreciated

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Enter 1 thru 9 in cells A1:A9. Enter =RAND() in B1 and copy down to B9. Sort this list on column B.

Or...

Enter =RAND() in A1:A9. Enter =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$9) into B1 and copy down to B9. Repeatedly, recalculate the worksheet to "shuffle" the lane assignments.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-17 09:03

Upvote 0
This is still not working for me...I have a good deal of information grouped together (athlete name, grade, school, time) and I want to assign that entire group a random lane number...I have a sample file, is there anyway I could attatch the file to this board and have someone take a look at it?

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-17 09:23, savtrack wrote:
This is still not working for me...I have a good deal of information grouped together (athlete name, grade, school, time) and I want to assign that entire group a random lane number...I have a sample file, is there anyway I could attatch the file to this board and have someone take a look at it?

Unfortunately, this BBS doesn't support attachments. When you refer to "information grouped together" do you mean that 'athlete name', 'grade', 'school', and 'time' are listed in separate columns and each athlete's info in listed on a single row?

Upvote 0
Exactly. I have student name in column A, grade in column B...ect. then the times are listed in column E. I need to randomly assign lanes to these athletes, but obviously I would like to group all of the information together so I don't have to retype everything. does this help clarify? thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-17 09:33, savtrack wrote:
Exactly. I have student name in column A, grade in column B...ect. then the times are listed in column E. I need to randomly assign lanes to these athletes, but obviously I would like to group all of the information together so I don't have to retype everything. does this help clarify? thanks for the help!

What are the 'times' in column E?

Upvote 0
PERFECT!!
thank you so much. I have been banging my head against the wall on this one...you are an Excel Wizard.
Thanks a bunch.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back