How do I do a hyperlink that exceeds 255 characters?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
The 255 character limit applies to how many characters you can put in one cell's formula bar but not necessarily to how long a Hyperlink URL could be.

A way around the 255 character limit in the formula bar would be to split the URL into two cells e.g. half the URL in cell A1 and the other half in cell A2. Then in another cell put your hyperlink formula...
=HYPERLINK(A1&A2,"Search Google")

Reactions: qmp
Upvote 0
Also, If you use the Insert Hyperlink feature (Ctrl+K) instead of the HYPERLINK formula, that may get around the 255 character limit, but I haven't tested it to make sure it would work.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I do face same problem, my URL character length is 361, I split the address in two cells (A1 and A2) then used =hyperlink("A1"&"A2","Click here") but it returns me #Value Error. Can some please let me know how do I overcome this ?

Upvote 0
The formula should be:
=hyperlink(A1&A2,"Click here")
and not:
=hyperlink("A1"&"A2","Click here")

Upvote 0
Hi ,
I was looking at a similar problem just recently. This Thread did not help too much as no solutions in it worked. But, ( I guess due to the well descriptive Title ) I kept hitting on this Thread toime and time again while I was searching!!!.

So I thought it would be a benefit to others if i dropped off one solution that I now have.

I never managed to do any formula to get over the problem. Fundamentally there does not seem to be a workaround to get over the 255 Formula limit. ( As it is actually the “255” that Excel “sees” that is the problem, you cannot seem to do any splitting then joining as suggested here, as Excel still ends up “seeing” .
Further it appears not possible to change a cell value with a Function, so another often suggested approach, using a User Defined Function, UDF, also fails at that fundamental point.

The best I have is a modification of a VBA solution workaround which someone did.

Brief Details of Solution

In brief an Events ( Worksheet_Change ) Program sets off a code that will change a text in a cell to a hyperlink. That is basically what my Excel seems to do anyway if the text “looks” like a URL. Except it does not work if the text is over 255 ( I note
_a) in passing that for a formula it is still exactly a 255 limit. – It is strings within formulas that have that limit
and
***_ b) note also in passing that a 255 limit in addition applies to any string it pastes out
)

So I give a simple code first of all that will make a sheet convert URL’s of over 255 characters that are entered into any cell convert automatically to a Hyperlink in a similar way to what Excel usually does.
Then I include a more detailed code and explanation for the unlikely case that someone with less VBA knowledge than me pops by....

( I was a bit surprised that my codes do not set off an infinite loop of the Worksheet_Change code !? !? )

Code
Code:
[color=blue]Private[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] Worksheet_Change([color=blue]ByVal[/color] Target [color=blue]As[/color] Range)
[color=blue]Dim[/color] strURL [color=blue]As[/color] String: strURL = Target.Value
    [color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]Not[/color] Intersect(Cells, Target) [color=blue]Is[/color] [color=blue]Nothing[/color] [color=blue]Then[/color]
    Target.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Target, Address:=strURL, ScreenTip:=strURL, TextToDisplay:=strURL
    [color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]If[/color]
End [color=blue]Sub[/color]

Alan

_..................................

More detailed Code and explanations:

This is what you would need to do first to put the code in an existing Excel File:
As this code works on a Worksheet it must be put in a Worksheet Code Module, not in the more usually used Normal Code Module.
One way to put that in is:
_(i) Copy the entire code from the Post Code Window to the Clipboard ( Select it all and hit Ctrl C )
_(ii) Click Right with the mouse on the Tab of your sheet of interest, then select something like “Show Code”
_(iii) The VB Editor should come up with a large empty code Window. Paste the entire code in that Window
_(iv) Hit Alt + F11 to get out of the VB Editor
_(v) Save and close the File ( but make sure you save as a “with macros” type __ .xlsm )
_(vi) Open the file and select something like “enable macros” when a warning comes up.

Then basically it should “work” such that when you Paste your Long URL in the Specified Cell Range*** it should automatically be converted to a Hyperlink, just as Excel would usually do if your URL had up to a 255 character length. ( *** For this code I narrowed the Range it will work on to the first 5 cells in column E )

Code: ( It looks better in the VB Editor as all ‘Comments “go off” to the right. )

Rich (BB code):
'     davesexel     http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/1125569-creating-in-excel-a-hyperlink-to-a-route-made-in-google-maps.html#post4311156
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'Application.EnableEvents = False 'Does not appear to need this..  I thought it would as i thought the change in the sheet done in line 60 would set this code off again. This code line would have avoided that by turning off codes of this nature ***
10      Dim strDaveLongSExelHype As String 'Done at complile time to Tell VBA initially where to go when seeing strDaveLongSexelHype anywhere else in the code ( This may likely change as required to hause changing length values      http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/361246-vbnullstring.html
20      Let strDaveLongSExelHype = Target.Value 'Target is a reserved Word used for VBA for the Range Object corresponding to where you "Hit"  ( or the Range which you selected before hitting hit Enter ) The .Value Property assigned to one cell returns the value in an appropriate type, ( in our case typically a String ), of what is in the cell. In other words what you typed in is "put in" strDaveLongSExelHype
30      Dim WhereIWantToInsertMyLongThong As Range 'Variable for the Spreadsheet Area, as a Range Object, where you are expecting to Insert your Long Things.
40      Set WhereIWantToInsertMyLongThong = Range("E1:E5") ' CHANGE this to suit your wishes!  ####
'41  Set WhereIWantToInsertMyLongThong = Cells '  ##### This alternatve would result in the code working over the whole Worksheet
50      If Not Intersect(WhereIWantToInsertMyLongThong, Target) Is Nothing Then 'The VBA Intersect Method will return a Range Object that represents the intersection of two, or more, ranges. Nothing is a Special VBA Object for a "not yet assigned Object". If we Not get that then we have a Object, ( in this case a range Object ( a Cell ) ) that intercepts the entire Range where you wanted to be able to Insert your Long Thing ( That entire Range was specified in Line 40 ( or 41 ) )
'       The Hyperlink Property of a range returns ( or refers )  to a collection of  "all to do with" the Hyperlinks associated with that range Object. Amongst other things a .Add Method is available with 2 compulsory and 2 optional arguments.  Based on the arguments, a specific Hyperlink is put in the Range. Anchor:= _____ says where the Hyperlinkk is written in. Address:=_____in this case is the URL itself.  ScreenTip:=____is the bit of text in the cell which you usually put in as something like “Click Me”. But just for fun I used the whole text of your URL again.   TextToDisplay:=___Is where you put what you want to be displayed in the Box which comes up when you hover over your Hyperlink cell with the mouse. Again just for fun I used your whole URL. I guess you might want just something Like “This goes to my Google Maps Pub Crawl Route when I click on it”
60          Target.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Target, Address:="" & strDaveLongSExelHype & "", ScreenTip:="" & strDaveLongSExelHype & "", TextToDisplay:="" & strDaveLongSExelHype & "" ' " DaveSexuel's Workaround " Allowing a very long  ( greater than 255 character ) URL to be put in an Excel Cell    http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/1125569-creating-in-excel-a-hyperlink-to-a-route-made-in-google-maps.html#post4311156
'70      Else 'Do Not need to do anything here...  but just for fun, lines 70 and 75 would result in  a message box poping up telling you that you selected outside the range you specified in Line 40 ( or 41 )
'75      MsgBox prompt:="Your Selected Range was not within Area " & Replace((WhereIWantToInsertMyLongThong.Address), "$", "", 1) & ""  ' Address Property applied to Range Object returns a String including the $ bits. So a simple Replace withn that String  ,    of   a  $   ,   with  a special VBA String representing a string variable not filled yet  ,   starting looking at character  1 ( first )  ,  and replace all of them ( that is what -1 means in this case )
80          End If
Application.EnableEvents = True ' I leave this in just to be on the safe side!!  **
End Sub

Explanation:

Line 10 is just a Variable for VBA to “hold” the full URL as text.
Line 20 “Puts” your typed in URL in the Variable – It gets it from the Value in Target. Target is a reserved VBA Word which represents the Range ( a Cell in your case ) where you typed something in.

Lines 30 and 40 are talking about an aptly named variable, Where I Want To Insert My Long Thong, which for no particular reason I have chosen as the cells E1 through to E5. You can probably guess what you need to do to change that desired Input Range.
( Line 41, which is not used as I “ ‘commented it” out, would be the alternative to make the code work on the entire sheet, as in the simplified code. So Take out the First on Line 41 if you want to try that.).
Note if you are only were interested in putting a long URL in the first cell, then you could change the bit in Line 40 to be __A1:A1__ or just __A1__

Line 50 I try to put in a form of plain English:__ Intersect(Range1, Range2)__is a VBA Method which give you the Range where the Ranges within the brackets (_____) cross or “Intercept”. If there is no cross it gives “Nothing” as an answer. So code line 50 says If it is NOT the case that Nothing is returned, Then it does Line 60
( I think if you think about that, you will see it is just a complicated way of saying ..“do something if you typed something in the Range you specified in Line 40 ( or 41 if you choose that option )..”...

Line 60 is basically an adoption of a Code I reference in my first reference below. In English it Puts the Hyperlink you want in the cell which was Target, ( where you typed the URL in ):
Anchor:= _____ says where The Hyperlink is written in ( which cell it goes in. - This is of course just the Target Cell in this case. )
Address:=_____In this case this is the URL itself ( as text )
ScreenTip:=____This is the bit of text in the cell which you usually put in as something like “Click Me”. But just for fun I used the whole text of your URL again.
TextToDisplay:=___Is where you put what you want to be displayed in the Box which comes up when you hover over your Hyperlink cell with the mouse. Again just for fun I used your whole URL text. I guess you might want just something Like “This will open up the web Site when you click on it”
( A more technical explanation here, for my practice: The Hyperlink Property of a Range Object returns ( or refers ) to a Collection of “all to do with“ the Hyperlinks associated with that Range Object. Amongst other things, a .Add Method is available with 2 compulsory and 2 optional arguments. Based on the arguments, a specific Hyperlink is put in the Range )

Lines 70 and 75 you do not need. That is where the code goes usually if you typed anything in outside the Range you defined in Line 40 ( or 41 ). Originally I did a code bit to tell you with a pop up box that you had typed somewhere outside your intended Range for the Long Things. But that was a pain when it came up every time I did anything anywhere _ Else_ in the Worksheet. So I “ ‘commented it” out. So Take out the First on those two lines if you want to try that.

_..........................
Here is the File: ( XL 2007 “DaveLongSExuelHypeHiJack.xlsm” )
https://app.box.com/s/x8tg7r4k2p48u1ivvowzeydiaop0gtni

References
Creating in Excel a hyperlink to a route made in Google maps [SOLVED]
*** http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ions-evaluate-method-255-character-limit.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge...ould-like-see-excel-2016-a-4.html#post4276500
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ons-evaluate-range-vlookup-2.html#post3976690

Upvote 0
a simpler solution is to use a link shortener, e.g. https://goo.gl/
An old thread but just in case someone needs it. Link shorteners won't work in some cases where links have too many characters. I have a couple with more than 1900 characters and link shorteners gave up on me.

I came up with the below which works with longer links:

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim IE As Object
Dim link as string
If Not Intersect(ActiveCell, Range("a15")) Is Nothing Then
link = ActiveSheet.Range("a15")

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Visible = True
IE.Navigate link
Set IE = Nothing
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Say I want to create a proxy hyperlink like this:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.google.com/search?q="&B3&"&safe=active","Search Google")

but the URL address I'm going to use is way too big for the cell (I think max is 255 characters).

How do I do that?
:eek:
Thanls!

(Answering an 8 year old question for anyone who hits this page like i did)

Create the Hyperlink in Microsoft Word and copy paste into Excel.

Word 2013 allowed to create a long (>255 character) Hyperlink as mentioned in below steps ;
pasting that hyperlink from Word to Excel didn't truncate the link address and the technique worked for me.

1. Put the address in Word, say :
http://www.mrexcel.com/verylonghyperlink

2. Give a space right next to last character of the hyperlink address and word would convert it to a clickable hyperlink.

3. Right click that hyperlink and select "Edit Hyperlink".

4. In "Text to display:" field give the text intended to be visible. Click "Ok".

5. Cut/copy this hyperlink and paste it into the Excel cell. Done (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back