Excel Calculation Hangs until mouse is clicked

2bit

Hi All,

I have various functions and calcs on a spreadsheet which were all working fine last week.

This week I have noticed that when I update a cell (which in turn updates a calc result, which in turn updates a conditional format) nothing happens, the hour glass just hangs there. When I click again on the sheet it all returns, recalculates and completes the process.

does anyone know what is causing this?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I don't think this is your problem but for trouble shooting purposes make sure your calculation options are set to automatic.

To do this go to the "Formulas" tab, and un the "Calculation" ribbon click "Calculation Options" The drop down menu should have "Automatic" checked.

Upvote 0
Could be a number of things. Typically, the hourglass indicates that Excel is working/calculating. When you click somewhere during this process, it abandons calculating and allows you to edit the worksheet again. You can verify what the program is doing by checking a couple things.

In the lower left corner of the Excel window, you can see text that says "Ready". If it also shows "Calculate", that means that Excel has more calculations to update, and is in fact not done.

To see what is happening (kind of) while Excel is displaying an hourglass, you can open Windows Task Manager. Right-click on the Windows menu bar, and click "Task Manager". Go to the "Processes" tab. Sort top down on "CPU". If Excel pops to the top of the list, you know it is still working and calculating.

I've had MANY spreadsheets that work quickly and efficiently until I add just one too many formulas. Then it starts hanging and taking multiple minutes to calculate. Sometimes you just have to go back through and try to simplify it.

Hope that helps!

-AK

Upvote 0
I don't think this is your problem but for trouble shooting purposes make sure your calculation options are set to automatic.

To do this go to the "Formulas" tab, and un the "Calculation" ribbon click "Calculation Options" The drop down menu should have "Automatic" checked.

Thanks for your suggestions but I need auto-calc off, also I don't use Excel 2007 (I'm on 2003 - probably should have mentioned that! :) )

Upvote 0
Could be a number of things. Typically, the hourglass indicates that Excel is working/calculating. When you click somewhere during this process, it abandons calculating and allows you to edit the worksheet again. You can verify what the program is doing by checking a couple things.

In the lower left corner of the Excel window, you can see text that says "Ready". If it also shows "Calculate", that means that Excel has more calculations to update, and is in fact not done.

To see what is happening (kind of) while Excel is displaying an hourglass, you can open Windows Task Manager. Right-click on the Windows menu bar, and click "Task Manager". Go to the "Processes" tab. Sort top down on "CPU". If Excel pops to the top of the list, you know it is still working and calculating.

I've had MANY spreadsheets that work quickly and efficiently until I add just one too many formulas. Then it starts hanging and taking multiple minutes to calculate. Sometimes you just have to go back through and try to simplify it.

Hope that helps!

-AK

OK thanks, the thing is I know it is calculating as the sheet hasn't finished updating and the hourglass is there - its the fact that excel makes you click on the sheet to get it to finish calculating.

so its not that it is taking a long time to calc - i can refresh a cell let it hang for a second then click the sheet and it will then finish - otherwise if I don't click it sits there appearing to calculate but is in fact hanging

Upvote 0
And it only says "Ready" in the lower left-hand corner? Not "Calculate" as well?

In that case, I've never encountered that. Anyone else?

Upvote 0
typical, cant recreate it at the mo, it will happen again and will post when it happens again

Upvote 0
Old thread, but I'm having this exact same problem on another workbook now. I've seen this in other projects. It's easy to reproduce at the moment. The workbook will appear to hang and calculate indefinitely until I click anywhere on the sheet (or press an arrow key in any direction). At that time, it generally finishes immediately and the screen is refreshed. It feels like a screen refresh issue. Would appreciate any solution, if one exists.

typical, cant recreate it at the mo, it will happen again and will post when it happens again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back