Auto Sort A List by Values in Excel

Andrew in Sydney

Hi fom Sydney!

Is there a way in Excel to have a list of names with values automatically re-sort whenever any of the values change.

The default sort I have in mind is ascending by values.

eg.

CITY VALUE
Sydney 100
Boston 200
London 300
Moscow 400
Houston 500

The values change to:

Sydney 5000
Boston 250
London 8000
Moscow 300
Houston 50

I now want Houston 1st, Boston 2nd etc - automatically - without me having to do a sort again by Value.

Any help with this highly apreciated.

Andrew Lawless
Sydney - Australia

Just so I'm clear, are the example names of Dave Smith and Andy Ford in the same cell? If so, what column? If not, what column are the first names in, and what column are the last names in? And also, just to be sure, your data depiction example is that of the source data range, and not the pivot table itself?
Sorry Tom for not explaining more clearly, I did try to attach a copy of the spreadsheet but it came out without the cells,

Column A: Individual cells, First and last names (A:2 Dave Read, A:3 mike jones etc,)
Column B: Personel number , ( B:2 3345) which is Dave Reads personnel number.
Column C: Discipline, (C:2 mechanic,) which is dave reads trade.
Column D: Employee Number (D:2 4567) which is Dave Reads pay roll number.

So each row is dedicated to each employee, and requires auto sorting if a new employee is added to the bottom of the sheet, to reflect alphabetically,

Hope this is clear enough, if not please reply and I will try to answer more clearly,

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Still not clear what sorting order you want, be it by first name or last name because both the first and last names are in the same cell.

For example, with the names Ella Vader, Mike Raffone, and Adam Zapple should the order be

By first name:
Adam Zapple
Ella Vader
Mike Raffone

Or by last name:
Mike Raffone
Ella Vader
Adam Zapple

Upvote 0
Still not clear what sorting order you want, be it by first name or last name because both the first and last names are in the same cell.

For example, with the names Ella Vader, Mike Raffone, and Adam Zapple should the order be

By first name:
Adam Zapple
Ella Vader
Mike Raffone

Or by last name:
Mike Raffone
Ella Vader
Adam Zapple

It is by first name, sorry for the confusion,

Upvote 0
I require to auto sort the names by first name, automatically when i input a name into the bottom of the spreadsheet, I acn do this manually, but thought it would save??

Upvote 0
1.) SOCCER

image.png

A: Teams
B: Matches Played
C: Wins
D: Draws
E: Losses
F: Goals Scored
G: Goals Conceded
H: Points
I: Goal difference

Columns B, H and I are calculated automaticaly by simple formulas, when I change cell values for columns C, D, E, F and G. I just need to auto sort all this, first descending by column H (points) and then descending by column I (goal difference). Can anyone write down the macro code for me? :)

2.) BASKETBALL

image.png

A: Teams
B: Wins
C: Losses
D: Winning Percentage

Column D is calculated automaticaly when I input and cnange cell values of B and C columns. I just need to auto sort this, first descending by column D (winning percentage) and then descending by column B (wins). Can anyone write down this macro code for me as well, please? :)

Both tables (sheets) look exactly as pictured above...

I'm desperate with this...

Thanks in advance!

Jasmin

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am looking for similar solution..but i need to sort data from columns AM:AP. How to modify the code?

The value to be sorted is in column AP.

Regards,
Akhil

Upvote 0
hi all,
i have a data on collum K5 to K12 (name) AND L5 to L12 is Value.
my question is 'how to auto sort via vba because i use on excel panel auto sort the value is turn to '0'.

thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi

I have data in columns A to L. I want to sort the data automatically if the value in column L changes. Sort by L (highest first) then by column G (highest first) then by column B (Ascending).

I tried a couple of sheet codes on here but can't seem to get it to work. Any Help Appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Upvote 0
Hi, i want to auto sort data that is linked. The column i want to sort is coloum o. It starts from o8 to 0107. How do i go about it. So that as i enter data in the original sheet, column o is authomatically sorted in accending order. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back