how to search entire workbook

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
how does one search for something in the entire workbook? if i have 10 different worksheets i dont want to have to search for them individually.

also, sometimes there are numbers that are a result of formulas, which dont seem searchable. how do you fix that? e.g. if a cell has "+5+2" in it, if I search for 7 I wont find that cell. is there any way to fix that?

as an aside, it'd be great if i could see more recently worked on books. when i goto the file menu, i see the last 4 worked on files. can i change this to 5 or 10?

thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I don't seem to be able to post screen shots, but when you select the search feature, click on the OPTIONS button (above the CLOSE button in version 2003), this gives you additional options that allow you to search through the entire workbook (instead of the active sheet) and search for items in values rather than formula's

Upvote 0
how does one search for something in the entire workbook? if i have 10 different worksheets i dont want to have to search for them individually.

Assuming you're using the search box, (Ctrl F) click options, then change 'Within' from Sheet to Workbook.

also, sometimes there are numbers that are a result of formulas, which dont seem searchable. how do you fix that? e.g. if a cell has "+5+2" in it, if I search for 7 I wont find that cell. is there any way to fix that?

As above, change 'Look In' from Formulas to Values

as an aside, it'd be great if i could see more recently worked on books. when i goto the file menu, i see the last 4 worked on files. can i change this to 5 or 10?

Which version of excel?

With excel 2007 I have 20 in that list.

Office Button > Excel options > Advanced > Display > Show this number of recent documents.

Don't know if older versions have the same option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back