Default Number Format in Excel 2010 worksheet randomly changed to a Date Format

doreanna

I have been working in a worksheet with 10 tabs, and suddenly all of my numbers turned to long date format. I manually changed them all back to what they were. General, Currency, %, etc. but the default seems to be stuck in the long date format. When I create a new tab it is automatically all long dates. Very strange.
Oh, and the other weird thing is when I send it to other people, some people see the correct formats and when other's open it the numbers all go back to the long date format. VERY Frustrating.
Would love to get some advice.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I have the same problem, specific file got date cell format by default any new cell in the file and any new sheet and I just can find a way to change it but changing it manually<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Anyone have solution?? :confused:<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
If you select Date format with start sign (*), then it's locale-specific, i.e. format is stored in Windows settings.

Upvote 0
I understand, but this is not the issue. In another file all the cell got format of EURO currency and again I have to change it manually, new sheet get his entire cell format as Euro currency,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I think it is excel 2010 bug or some unexplained development,<o:p></o:p>
It has nothing to do with the controllable panel definition since 2 specific file got default cell format, while the others are OK<o:p></o:p>
I will really appreciate answer it is driving me crazy...<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="Description: 0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\diklai\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p:mad:</o:p>

Upvote 0
I am running into the same exact problem. I randomly get formats changed to Euros, date formats change randomly as well. It this a bug in Excel 2007?

Upvote 0
Me too. This is such a waste of time for me to have to go back and reformat columns just because Excel decides everything is now a date instead of a number! Is there any workaround at all for this?

Upvote 0
seems to be a sporadic bug - if you alter the 'Normal' cell style to use General number format again it should fix it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back