File Format Not Valid Message

KniteMare

Board Regular
I recieved a call from one of my remote site supervisors that he is getting this message. OK is his only choice.

Is this a file corrupted message. Is there any way to recover? I am going to drive out there and replace the file this morning.

The unfortunate part is that our work week runs Thursday to Thursday so they are going to have to recreate the entire week from the printed copies.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
G'day,

Did you check his version of excel before sending? I think you can get that error if your running a more advanced version of Excel. If that's the case it would be just a matter of saving the file down to his version.

I've seen this happen a few times from corruptions in the file however- usually when sending the file as an attachment or on a disk.

I'd say the easy thing to try is to see if anyone else can read that particular file. If other people also get this error then something probably happened to the file in transit. If emailed, you may want to zip the next one.

Good luck,
Adam

Upvote 0
Same version and It was installed via Floopy. (NO E-Mail available at these sites) I went to the site and deleted the old and reinstalled. While I was there I noticed the M97 Macro Virus was infecting Word Files. I killed it and removed the associated Class.sys file it leaves behind. I am certian that this was not the cause of the problem as this virus is rather basic (No Pun Intended :) ) and does not attack EXCEL Files. I could not find any Excel specific infections so I guess this file corruption was just one of those EXCEL things that keep us employed.

Thanks for the Response
Yours in EXCELent Frustration
KniteMare

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back