Likes Likes:  0

Thread: File Format Not Valid Message

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recieved a call from one of my remote site supervisors that he is getting this message. OK is his only choice.

Is this a file corrupted message. Is there any way to recover? I am going to drive out there and replace the file this morning.

The unfortunate part is that our work week runs Thursday to Thursday so they are going to have to recreate the entire week from the printed copies.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day,

Did you check his version of excel before sending? I think you can get that error if your running a more advanced version of Excel. If that's the case it would be just a matter of saving the file down to his version.

I've seen this happen a few times from corruptions in the file however- usually when sending the file as an attachment or on a disk.

I'd say the easy thing to try is to see if anyone else can read that particular file. If other people also get this error then something probably happened to the file in transit. If emailed, you may want to zip the next one.

Good luck,
    Adam

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same version and It was installed via Floopy. (NO E-Mail available at these sites) I went to the site and deleted the old and reinstalled. While I was there I noticed the M97 Macro Virus was infecting Word Files. I killed it and removed the associated Class.sys file it leaves behind. I am certian that this was not the cause of the problem as this virus is rather basic (No Pun Intended ) and does not attack EXCEL Files. I could not find any Excel specific infections so I guess this file corruption was just one of those EXCEL things that keep us employed.

Thanks for the Response
    Yours in EXCELent Frustration
    KniteMare

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others