Can't find my PERSONAL.XLS workbook

Barry Katcher

I just finished loading Excel onto my new computer, running Windows XP, and can't find my PERSONAL.XLS macro folder. The new Windows directory doesn't have a sub-folder called "Applications Data", and a search on PERSONAL.XLS in Windows Explorer turned up zilch.

Does anyone know where the XLStartup folder is on Windows XP?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Barry, try:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Or, just Unhide the Personal macro workbook and do a save as and you can get the path that way.

Upvote 0
Hi, T-Bone. Got as far as sub-folder BARRY, but no Application Data below that.\

Plus, stupid me, it's been so long I don't remember how to unhide a workbook.

Upvote 0
OK, went to good old Help and found how to unhide the workbook, which I did, but there's no file path shown. I recorded a simple macro to the PERSONAL workbook, and ran it, so I know it's there, but a search of my C: drive still doesn't find it.
:unsure:

Upvote 0
You know, I did a search on my drive, and it came up empty-handed also. I uhnhid my Personal workbook and looked at where it was saving to, and then I went to that directory (which is what I posted above) and there was nothing there. So, I unhid all hidden files on my computer, and there was still nothing there.

This Personal workbook must be a veryhidden file or something because it would appear it doesn't exist even though it does.

Maybe someone can shed more light on the situation...

Barry Katcher said:
Hi, T-Bone. Got as far as sub-folder BARRY, but no Application Data below that..

Barry, I forgot to mention that the Application Data file is a hidden folder. To see hidden files in WindowsXP go to Tools|Folder Options|View|Show Hidden Files and Folders

Upvote 0
Yes, I just put a macro in PERSONAL to display the full path and name in the title bar and, sure enough, it's in the path T-Bone gave me, but I, too, cannot find Application Data in my C:\Documents and Settings\Barry folder.

I'm trying to copy/paste my old PERSONAL workbook with 2 years worth of macros into the new XLStart folder, but the **** system won't let me navigate to it!

GRRRRRRRRRRR. Gimme back my old Commodore 64. :devilish:

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
tbardoni said:
Barry, I forgot to mention that the Application Data file is a hidden folder. To see hidden files in WindowsXP go to Tools|Folder Options|View|Show Hidden Files and Folders

Update: Actually, I found mine. My problem was that I didn't have an existing Personal until I recorded a macro to it. :oops:

Upvote 0
Bones, just saw your last msg:

How do I get to Tool in WindowsXP? It's less than an hour, and I hate XP already!

EDIT: Never mind, got there in Windows Explorer, unhid the folder, should be a snap now. Thanks, T-Bone.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back