sum and autofiltering

moby

Board Regular
I am using the autofilter on a spreadsheet for a simple checkbook. when i filter out everything buy ATM transactions I want to know the sum of those transactions only. Then When I filter for deposits I want the sum for only the deposits. How do I do this?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You need to use subtotal function...

i do this lots of time for my office expense statements.

write down the formula in the last row..

=subtotal(9,"a1:a200")...

this will give you sum.

Subtotal has many options so i suggest you to take online help for this powerful function. you can find out nos of records,, average.. max value, min values,,etc

ni****h desai
http://www.pexcel.con

Upvote 0
ni****h,
You said to use this...

=subtotal(9,"a1:a200")...

But excel will not let me put the quotes into the equation.

When I remove the quotes it still does not work.

Upvote 0
The formula is assuming you have your data in the range A1 to A200. If this is not correct change the range to fit your needs........

Denny

Upvote 0
First, I tried it with out the quotes and it did not work.
Second, I know enough not to use the a1 to a200. I do have some eqperience with excel.
But for some reason I still cannot get it to work. Maybe I am not explaining my self correctly.
I have a spreadsheet with my checking account info on it. The first colume is the date, second it the tyoe of transaction (check, deposit, withdrawl and so on). The third column shown the payments (withdrawls), the fourthe shows deposits.
Lets say I want to sort by the type of transaction, I want the sum of that type of transaction.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-18 07:07, moby wrote:
I am using the autofilter on a spreadsheet for a simple checkbook. when i filter out everything buy ATM transactions I want to know the sum of those transactions only. Then When I filter for deposits I want the sum for only the deposits. How do I do this?

Hi moby:
After you have the filtered list, if you simply want to see what the total is, select the items, and look at the status bar where you can right click to see the various statistics related to the selection, such as Count, Sum, Average, ...

HTH!

Upvote 0
I find it useful to put a subtotal formula above labels so that your subtotals don't expand or contract when filtering a list.
ex. labels start on row 3, A3=date, B3=type, C3=pymts, D3=deposits
In c2 put =subtotal(9,c4:c200) and in d2 put =subtotal(9,d4:D200)
You can filter on any column now and get the appropriate total.
HTH
Drew
This message was edited by Drew on 2002-04-18 12:53
This message was edited by Drew on 2002-04-18 12:55

Upvote 0
I figured out what I was doing wrong. Under the Calculations section of the Calculations Tab in the Options menu I had Manual selected. So it was never updating my calculations.
Thanks to everyone

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back